Google has gone far ahead with its Android operating system and recently they announced their latest Android 5.0 OS version called Android Lollipop. The final official update for Galaxy Grand duos was stopped at Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean. After Android 4.2.2 JB OS Samsung never looked back to this phone. That’s the reason the Grand duos users need to rely on those unofficial custom ROMs to experience the new fresh versions of Android. Till now we have posted several custom ROMs for Grand duos i9082 and i9082L. But among all these ROMs the most famous and well known is Cyanogenmod Custom ROM. The CM developers are always making their best efforts to bring the new features & customizations from latest Android OS onto mobile phones which has least expectations to get the same update officially. Recently the recognized developer pawitp has released an alpha build of Cyanogenmod 12 Custom ROM especially for Samsung Galaxy Grand duos i9082 and i9082L. This ROM is designed to increase your device performance and reliability over stock Android. With its speed it can make your slow and laggy device a much more usable. If you happen to be a Galaxy Grand Duos I9082 or I9082L user & you wish to get the latest version of Android running on your device then CM 12 is the ROM that will do the job for you and get the Lollipop flavor on your device. The working features in this ROM are listed below. Have a look at them.
- Dual SIM
- RIL (Calls, SMS, Mobile Data)
- Video playback
- Audio (playback & recording)
- Sensors including Accelerometer, Compass, Light and Proximity
- Added New music player
- Fixed mount/data error in install script
- Fixed toggling SIM2 data from Quick Settings
- Fixed APN selection
- Fixed unable to select 2G/3G Carrier Settings
- Fixed compatibility with smaller system partition
- Fixed call feature crash
- Fixed video recording issue
- Improved root compatibility
- Fixed low Wi-Fi download performance when screen off
- Fixed random reboots
- Fixed app icon display
- Fixed voice note in WhatsApp, incoming call , 2G/3G selection
As I have mentioned that this ROM is an Alpha build and is in its initial stage so there are chances of many bugs and issues while you use it. But no worries as with further stable updates all the bugs will be cleared. This Android 5.0 Lollipop CM 12 Custom ROM update given below for Galaxy Grand duos is of much risk and a slight change can damage your device completely. So its better to stop at this point if you are a noob or have no idea of what you are doing. Only advanced Android users who have a complete knowledge of this stuff are allowed to proceed further. If by mistake any damage happens to your Galaxy Grand duos then neither I nor the developers of this Android Lollipop CM 12 ROM will be held liable for that. Still I assure that no such damage will happen if you attempt everything properly without any single mistake. Note that this Android 5.0 Lollipop CM 12 Custom ROM is only compatible with Samsung Galaxy Grand duos having the model number GT-i9082/i9082L. Do not flash this on any other device or variant as it may brick the phone. Ensure that you are having the same device as mentioned above from Homescreen–> Menu–>Settings –> About Phone.
- Make sure you have charged your phones battery before moving ahead. There is always a risk of switching off your device during the flashing process due to lack of battery power. So I highly recommend to charge the battery of your phone at least up to 60%.
- It is necessary to backup all your device data and settings including contacts, SMS/MMS, APN settings, Memo, Call logs etc. Either copy them on external SD card or on your PC for more safety. This step is much essential as in the last step of this procedure you need to wipe all the data present in your phones internal memory.
- There is a folder named EFS present in your system directory which contains all your phones IMEI number, wireless device MAC addresses, product code, and much more. The backup of this EFS folder must be taken. If some how this folder gets wiped during flashing, then this will make your phone completely useless & will no longer be recognized by your carrier. Refer our article to backup and restore EFS/IMEI data:
- Install mobile specific drivers on your PC so as to recognize your phone when connected via USB cable. You can install them by installing Samsung Kies or manually install them from the link given below:
- Make sure that your Grand duos is rooted and a custom recovery like Clockworkmod (CWM) or TWRP is installed in it. If not, then follow our article for the same.
- (Important!) For flashing Android 5.0 Lollipop you need to have the latest Custom recovery like 220.127.116.11 installed on your Galaxy Grand duos. If you haven’t installed it yet, then don’t worry just follow this steps given below:
Step 1: Download the latest CWM recovery package from Here.
Step 2: Next connect your Grand duos to PC using USB data cable, enable USB debugging mode and transfer this recovery on your phones SD card.
Step 3: Now disconnect the phone from PC and switch it off completely.
Step 4: Enter into recovery mode now. For doing so, press and hold Volume up, home button (middle button) and power button simultaneously until the recovery mode appears.
Step 5: After entering recovery mode, use volume keys and navigate to the option Install from SD card and then select this latest recovery using home button. Wait for the flashing process to get complete.
After successful flashing proceed further for the actual Android 5.0 Lollipop CM 12 Custom ROM flashing process.
Procedure to update Galaxy Grand duos I9082/I9082L to Cm 12 ROM [Android 5.0]:
Step 1: Download both the files in a specific folder on your PC. Remember not to extract them.
Step 2: Now using USB cable connect your Grand duos to PC, enable USB debugging mode and transfer both the package files on your device SD card. Do not extract these files. Also remember not to place it in deep directories.
Step 3: Then disconnect the phone from PC and switch it off completely. You have to enter into recovery mode now. For that keep pressing ‘Home Button (middle button) + Volume Up + Power Button’ simultaneously until the recovery mode appears.
Note: Touch will not work here in recovery, so you need to use Volume Up and Down keys for navigation and Home button for selection.
Now make a complete nandroid backup of your current ROM. Nandroid backup is the backup of your entire operating system which you are currently using. It is much essential in case if this installation fails or if some problem occurs, you can easily restore your saved previous ROM from the CWM recovery.
Refer our detailed article for taking Nandroid backup:
Step 4: For taking a proper nandroid backup, navigate to the ‘backup & restore’ option on the recovery mode itself and on the next screen select ‘backup’ option. This will make a complete nandroid backup of your current ROM.
Step 5: After taking a complete nandroid backup, Select ‘wipe data/factory reset’ option followed by ‘wipe cache partition’ option on the recovery mode to clear all your data & caches from the device memory respectively. This step will clear all your phone data so ensure that you’ve backed up everything before attempting this step (as mentioned in pre-requisites).
We’ll move to the actual Android 5.0 Lollipop CM 12 ROM flashing process.
Step 6: Using back button return to the main menu of recovery mode and navigate to ‘install zip from SD card ‘ option. Select it using Home button. Then on the next screen select ‘choose zip from SD card’ option. This will show all the data present on your external SD card. Select the Cyanogenmod 12 ROM package file which you’ve copied earlier. Press ‘Yes’ option on the next screen to initiate the flashing process.
Step 7: Wait for few minutes to complete the flashing process. After successful flashing process, return back and again select ‘wipe data/factory reset’ option followed by ‘wipe cache partition’ option on the recovery mode to clear all your phone data & caches.
Step 8: After completing everything as mentioned above, navigate to the Advanced option located on the recovery mode itself. Select Reboot Recovery option on the next page.
Wait until you boot again into recovery.
Step 9: Now you need to flash Google Apps package file which contains Google Play Store, Gmail, GTalk etc. For that again navigate to the ‘install zip from SD card ‘ option & on the next screen select ‘choose zip from SD card’ option. Select the GApps zip package and initiate the flashing process.
Note: Do not wipe data/cache partition after flashing Google Apps.
Step 10: All the flashing process completes here. Just restart your Grand duos by selecting ‘reboot system now’ option from the recovery mode. Note that the first boot will take more time to start than usual.
If you want to enable Dual SIM, install this Terminal Emulator app and lunch it. Then enter these following commands in it:
su setprop persist.radio.multisim.config dsds
Note: If you don’t like this ROM and want to restore back your previous Rom you can do that by simply going back to the recovery mode by holding Home Button (middle button) + Volume Up + Power Button simultaneously and select ‘Backup and Restore’ option and then on next screen select ‘Restore’ option.
Maau! You have successfully flashed the all new Android 5.0 Lollipop based Cyanogenmod 12 Custom ROM on your Samsung Galaxy Grand Duos (I9082/I9082L). You may verify the same from Homescreen–> Menu–>Settings –> About Phone. Enjoy the latest Lollipop flavored features on your Grand Duos (I9082/I9082L) with this ROM. If you face any difficulty or have suggestions or queries while going through the process then without hesitating let me know through the comments section below. I am always here to help you out. Till then Enjoy! 🙂