Install Android 8.0 Oreo on One Plus 3 / 3T via Lineage OS 15 ROM. After the launch of Android 8.0 Oreo, people are going crazy to experience this new update on their smartphones. But only some lucky Android users are able to enjoy it officially. Recently Akhil Narang, a recognized contributor from the well known XDA community has compiled the latest Lineage OS 15 custom ROM which is based on the newly launched Android 8.0 Oreo on One Plus 3 and One Plus 3T smartphones. But to install it, first you need to unlock bootloader, root as well as flash a custom recovery like CWM or TWRP. If you haven’t done it yet, don’t worry as we have mentioned complete details on unlocking bootloader, getting root access and flashing TWRP custom recovery on One Plus 3 smartphone.
This Android 8.0 Oreo based Lineage OS 15 ROM is in its initial stage, so you might experience few bugs or issues. But don’t worry as all those glitches will be cleared up in the next stable update. If you wish to update your One Plus 3 / 3T smartphone with Android 8.0 Oreo based Lineage OS 15 custom ROM then proceed to our actual guide given below.
We at DroidThunder.com remind our users that neither we nor the developers of this ROM hold any responsibility in case if your phone gets bricked or damaged by performing the steps mentioned below. Implement everything at your own risk.
This Lineage OS 15 ROM is compatible only with One Plus 3 and One Plus 3T. Do not install this custom firmware on any other device or variant as it may cause permanent damage or even brick your device. So firstly confirm your device and then move ahead.
- Ensure to charge your phone at least up to 60% so that flashing process won’t be interrupted.
- It is highly recommended to backup all your data from internal memory including your contacts, messages, call logs, memos, whatsapp messages, installed apps etc. before flashing this ROM. This is essential as everything will get wiped in this procedure. Use any app from Google Play Store for doing so.
- Ensure to enable the USB debugging mode on your One Plus 3. For doing so, follow the path Menu->Settings->Developer options ->USB debugging. If you don’t see Developer option then go to Settings->About Phone and tap 7 times on the Build number. This will make the Developer option appear in the Settings menu.
- Also enable OEM unlocking and Advance reboot mode from Developer options.
- Make sure you have installed mobile specific USB drivers on your computer so as to detect your One Plus 3 when connected via USB data cable. You can manually install them from the link given below:
- You must unlock the bootloader of your One Plus 3 before going ahead. Refer our guide on how to easily unlock bootloader of One Plus 3 smartphone.
- Make sure that your One Plus 3 is rooted. Also a custom recovery like Clockworkmod (CWM) or TWRP must be installed for flashing the ROM. Refer our complete guide on how to easily root and install TWRP recovery on One Plus 3 smartphone.
- (Optional) Temporarily disable all the security related tools as well as antivirus that is installed on your computer. They may interrupt the process.
After doing everything as mentioned above, lets go to the flashing process of Android 8.0 Oreo on One Plus 3 / 3T.
Procedure to install Android 8.0 Oreo on One Plus 3 via Lineage OS 15 ROM:
Step 1: Download both the zip package files to a convenient location on your computer.
Note: Do not extract these zip files.
Step 2: Using original USB data cable connect your One Plus 3 to your computer. Then copy both the zip files on your phones internal memory. After that safely disconnect your phone from computer.
Step 3: Now you need to boot your One Plus 3 into TWRP custom recovery mode. Actually there are two different methods for doing that. You may use any one of them:
Method 1: Power off your device completely. Then press and hold Volume down key + Power button simultaneously until you land into custom recovery mode.
Method 2: Firstly enable the Developers option in Settings (refer pre-requisites). The go to Settings>Developer options> and enable Advanced Reboot option. After enabling that option, simply press power button to pop up the typical power menu. Then tap on the Reboot option and next select the Recovery mode option. This will directly boot your One Plus 3 into recovery mode without using those key combinations.
Note: As soon as you enter into TWRP custom recovery, the first thing you need to do is to take a nandroid backup. This is highly recommended as every single data present on your phone gets wiped out in this procedure. There might be a chance that your phone may get stuck in the process and gets into boot loops. At such times a complete Nandroid backup proves as a life saver. This nandroid backup takes the backup of your entire operating system along with system data, user data, boot image, installed apps with data, contacts and even the accounts created.
Refer our detailed guide for taking complete Nandroid backup:
Step 7: Go back to the main menu of TWRP recovery and select the Wipe option.
Step 8: On the next screen swipe right to begin the factory reset process.
Note: This step will delete the data on your phone memory so make sure you have backed up everything before performing this step.
Step 9: Again go to the main menu and select Wipe option.
Step 10: Then click on the Advanced Wipe option present there.
Step 11: On the next screen, select the particular partitions to wipe.
Note: Do not tick the Internal Storage option.
Then swipe right to begin the wiping process.
Step 12: Lets install the Android 8.0 Oreo on One Plus 3 now. For doing so, select the Install option from the TWRP main menu. This will show you all the files and folders present on your phones memory.
Step 13: Just navigate to the Android 8.0 Oreo based Lineage OS 15 ROM which you’ve copied earlier and select it. On the next screen just swipe right to begin the actual Android 8.0 Oreo ROM flashing process.
Step 14: The flashing process will take few minutes to complete. So be patient and wait until the flashing process finishes. As soon as it completes, you’ll see a successful message on the screen.
Step 15: Then go back and install the Google Apps zip package file (containing Play Store, Maps, Gmail, Gtalk etc.) in the same way as you’ve flashed the Lineage OS 15 custom ROM Android 8.0 Oreo on One Plus 3. Refer the screenshots:
Step 16: You did it. Just restart your One Plus 3 by selecting the Reboot->System option present on the TWRP recovery mode itself.
Note: The first boot will take more time to start than usual.
Wow! You have successfully installed the latest Lineage OS 15 custom ROM based on Android 8.0.0 Oreo One Plus 3 / One Plus 3T smartphone. You can verify the same from Menu->Settings->System->About Phone. Enjoy the all new features of Lineage OS 15 based Android 8.0 Oreo on One Plus 3 and 3T. Don’t forget to share your views and experience after using it. Till then Enjoy and Peace out!😗✌