Install Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow CM 13 ROM on Galaxy S5 Mini SM-G800F, SM-G800M, and SM-G800Y smartphone. Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini was launched two years back with some decent specs and features.
Some of which include 4.5 inches touchscreen with 720 x 1280 pixels resolution, 1.4 GHz Quad-core Cortex-A7 processor, 16 GB of internal memory, 1.5 GB of RAM, 8-megapixel camera with autofocus and LED flash, 2.1-megapixel front camera, and much more.
It was launched with Android v4.4.2 KitKat which was further up-gradable to official Android v5.1.1 Lollipop OS. After Android L, Samsung stopped launching further official updates for this phone.
Till now it is not sure whether Samsung will bring the latest Android 6.0 Marshmallow firmware for Galaxy S5 Mini or not. So S5 mini users have no other option than waiting for this latest update. The only way to enjoy Android 6.0 Marshmallow Os is by installing unofficial custom ROMs.
Recently the famous and well-known Cyanogenmod community has developed the latest CM 13 ROM based on Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow for Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini SM-G800F/M/Y smartphones. Galaxy S5 Mini has quite good specs and features that make the Android M run smoothly on it.
All thanks goes to Hennymcc, a senior member of the XDA developers who made it happen. Some of the working features in this ROM are mentioned below. Have a look at it.
- Brightness slider
- Orientation, Compass
- Initiate and receive calls
- Additional settings
- Multi-Window support (new experimental CM setting)
- NFC, GPS
- Flash Light, Bluetooth
- Camera (pictures+video: Back+Front)
- MTP storage
- SD-Card as internal storage (new Android M feature)
- Fingerprint scanner
- Wifi, Mobile Data
- USB-OTG (Keyboard, Mouse, USB-Audio, Mass-Storage)
- Option to use soft keys
- Lock Screen, Sound, SMS
- Light sensor, Pulse sensor
- HW accelerated GUI
- Proximity, Acceleration, Hall sensor, Step counter
By following the article given below, you will discover the easiest way to install and update your Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini SM-G800F/M/Y to the latest Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow through Cyanogenmod 13 build.
Implement all the steps at your own risk. Neither do I nor the developers of this ROM will be held responsible for any damage caused to your Galaxy S5 Mini by following this guide. Although the chances that your phone will be damaged or bricked are least still I strongly recommend to attempt all the steps correctly without a single mistake.
This Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow based Cyanogenmod 13 custom ROM is compatible only with Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini having model number SM-G800F, SM-G800M, SM-G800Y. Do not install this CM 13 build on SM-G800H or any other variant as it may cause severe damage. You must check your device’s model number from Menu->Settings ––> About Phone before proceeding further.
- Charge your phone battery at least up to 60% to reduce the risk of interruption during the flashing process.
- You need to backup all your phone data and settings including contacts, messages, memos, and call logs etc. to an external SD card or on your PC since everything gets wiped in the last step of this procedure. You may use any backup app for doing so.
- Backup EFS folder present in your phone’s system directory. This folder contains all your phones specific information such as the IMEI, wireless devices MAC addresses, product code, and much more. Refer to our article to backup and restore EFS/IMEI data:
- Ensure that mobile-specific drivers are installed on your computer. This is recommended to detect your Galaxy S5 Mini when connected via USB cable. You can install them by installing Samsung Kies or manually install them from the link given below:
- Your Galaxy S5 Mini must be rooted.
- Also, a custom recovery like Clockworkmod (CWM) or TWRP must be installed before proceeding further. If you didn’t installed it yet, don’t worry just follow these steps to install the latest TWRP recovery:
- Download Odin Multi Downloader and TWRP recovery on your PC.
- Now switch off your phone and boot into download mode. For doing press and hold Volume down + Home button + Power button simultaneously until you land into download mode. Then Connect your S5 Mini to PC using a USB cable and launch the Odin software.
- As soon as you launch Odin, an ‘Added’ message will appear on the Odin window. Also the ID: COM section located on the top left corner will turn light blue with a random com port number below it. If this doesn’t happen, then re-install device drivers on your PC.
- Tick Auto Reboot and F.Reset options present on the Odin window. Do not tick the Re-partition option as it may brick your phone.
- Now, tick against the ‘AP’ button and navigate to the TWRP recovery package (zip file) & select it.
- Now just hit the Start button to initiate the TWRP recovery flashing process.
- As soon as the process completes successfully, the ID: COM section will turn green with the message ‘Pass’ below it. This will confirm that you have successfully flashed the TWRP recovery on your Galaxy S5 Mini smartphone.
Let’s flash the actual Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow ROM now.
Procedure to install Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow on Galaxy S5 Mini:
Step 1: Download both the zip package files in a specific folder on your PC. Remember not to extract them.
Step 2: Using the original USB data cable connect your Galaxy S5 Mini to PC and copy both the downloaded files on your phones internal/external storage.
Note: You may directly download both the files on your device.
Step 3: Now safely disconnect your phone from the PC & switch it off completely. Now boot your phone into TWRP recovery mode. For doing so, press and hold the Volume up + Home button (middle button) + Power button together till you enter recovery mode.
Note: As you land into recovery mode, make a complete Nandroid backup which is the backup of your phone’s entire operating system.
Step 4: After taking backup, you need to wipe the data and cache partitions from your phone’s internal memory. To do so, select the Wipe option from the main menu of TWRP recovery. On the next screen select the Dalvik cache, system, data, cache, and swipe to start the wiping process.
Note: This step will clear out all your data, so a complete backup of everything must be done before attempting this step.
Let’s move to the actual Android 6.0 Marshmallow based CM 13 ROM flashing process.
Step 5: Select the Install option from the main menu of TWRP recovery. This will show you all the data present on your phone’s memory.
Step 6: Just navigate to the Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow based Cyanogenmod 13 custom ROM and select it. On the next screen just swipe to start the actual flashing process. The process will hardly take a minute to complete. So be patient and wait for the process to finish successfully.
Step 7: After completion, you’ll see a message saying successful on the screen. Then again wipe the data and cache partitions as you did before.
Note: This step is just as it helps to solve the boot loop issue.
Step 8: Similarly flash the Google Apps (GApps) package as you’ve flashed this Cyanogenmod 13 custom ROM.
Note: Do not wipe data/cache after flashing Google Apps.
Step 9: That’s all! Just restart your Galaxy S5 Mini by selecting the Reboot option present on the TWRP recovery mode itself.
Note: The first boot will take more time to start than usual. But don’t panic after a couple of boots it’ll be normal.
Good job! The latest Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow based Cyanogenmod 13 custom ROM is successfully flashed on your Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini SM-G800F, SM-G800M and SM-G800Y smartphone. To verify the same go-to Menu->Settings->About Phone. Enjoy all the features of this latest Android OS on your phone. Do text me if you face any difficulty or have any doubts regarding the same. Enjoy! 🙂