Today, we’ll discuss some simple steps on how to boot Samsung Galaxy S8 into Download Mode. Download mode (also known as Odin mode) is a special state or we can say a sub-system of an Android phone and is mainly used to flash stock firmware through official means. Moreover, the download mode is also widely used in gaining root access, flashing a custom recovery, custom ROMs, boot loader, kernels, modems, pit files, system updates, etc.
The universal method to boot Galaxy S8 into download mode is by pressing and holding the hard keys/buttons. But what if your button is not working or is broken. Still, it is possible to boot into download mode. Here in this step by step guide, we’ll discuss four important methods on how to easily enter Galaxy S8 into download mode with or without keys.
How to Enter Samsung Galaxy S8 into Download Mode
Here we have mentioned 4 different ways to enter into download mode. You may refer to any one of them. Note that the below-mentioned methods apply to all variants of Samsung Galaxy S8 including SM-G950F, SM-G950FD, SM-G950U, SM-G950A, SM-G950P, SM-G950T, SM-G950V, SM-G950W, SM-G9500, SM-G950S, SM-G950K, SM-G950L and SM-G950R4.
Method 1: Using Hard Keys
- Power off your Samsung Galaxy S8 completely.
- Press and hold the Volume Down key + Bixby button + Power button simultaneously until you see a warning message.
- Leave all the keys as you see the warning message window.
- Now just press the Volume up button to continue.
- This will directly land your Galaxy S8 into download mode.
- That’s all! You’ve successfully booted into download mode using hard keys.
Method 2: Using ADB commands
- Enable the USB debugging mode on your device.
- Also, enable OEM unlocking and Advance reboot mode from Developer options.
- Download and install ADB and Fastboot setup on your PC.
- Next using a USB cable, connect your phone to PC.
- Launch the Command window on your PC.
- For doing that, hold the Shift button and right mouse click anywhere on your PC.
- You’ll see a list of options from which select Open command window here option.
- This will launch the command prompt window.
- Type the following command in the command window and press enter key:
- As soon as you press enter key, you’ll see a message saying ‘List of devices attached’ along with some random numbers.
- This will confirm that your Galaxy S8 has successfully connected to your PC.
- If such a thing doesn’t happen, then re-install device drivers, enable USB debugging mode, and try again.
- If the problem persists, try changing USB cable or even the USB port.
- Now to boot your Samsung Galaxy S8 into download mode, type the following command in the command window and hit enter key:
adb reboot download
- As soon as you press enter key, your Galaxy S8 will enter into download mode.
Method 3: Using Terminal Emulator (Requires ROOT)
- Download and install Terminal Emulator App.
- Launch Terminal Emulator App.
- Type this command in it and press enter key:
- As soon as you hit enter key, a popup will appear to grant Superuser permissions.
- So click on Grant option.
- On the next line type the following command and press enter key:
- As soon as you hit enter key, your Galaxy S8 will boot into downloading mode.
- Great! You’ve successfully booted your Galaxy S8 into download mode using Terminal Emulator App.
Method 4: Using Quick Reboot App (Requires ROOT)
- Download and install the Quick Reboot app.
- Launch the Quick Reboot app.
- Tick the ‘I have read and accept the terms’ and click on confirm.
- To enter into downloading mode, click on the Fastboot mode option.
- Then Tap on Yes to confirm.
- As soon as you click on Yes, a popup will appear to grant Superuser permissions.
- So hit the Grant option.
- That’s all! You’ve successfully booted your Galaxy S8 into download mode using the Quick Reboot app.
How to Exit (get out of) Download Mode
- In the case of Android phones with a removable battery, you just need to open the back panel, remove and re-insert the battery and then normally start the phone by pressing the Power button.
- For non-removable battery phones, long press + hold the Power button to exit the download mode and restart the device.
- For phones with Android 6.0 Marshmallow and above OS, Google has introduced a new process to exit the Download mode. Press and hold Power button + Volume Down key simultaneously until your device reboots.