Convert IMG to TAR.MD5 Odin flashable files. Using easy tool online converter, turn image recovery files or zip files into Odin files. As you are aware that it is not possible to flash IMG extension files on the Odin tool. Therefore we need to convert these IMG files into Odin flashable tar files.
Odin is a tool that is majorly used for flashing official or unofficial Samsung firmware with .tar or .tar.md5 extension. It is also used for rooting Samsung phones. In this easy step-by-step guide, we’ll discuss 3 different methods or ways to convert the IMG to a tar file. You can refer to any one of the three methods mentioned below.
How to Convert IMG to TAR Odin Flashable files?
In this tutorial, we’ll use three simple methods to convert the image or ZIP files into TAR or TAR.MD5.
If your phone gets damaged during/after following this guide, then only you will be liable for that. Hence, perform the steps carefully and at your own risk.
Method 1: Convert IMG to tar using Script Bat Tool
One of the talented developers named mkh.mourad from the XDA community has recently developed a handy tool that lets you automatically create Odin flashable versions of IMG files. The tool takes the IMG file as an input and generates tar.md5 at the output. Let’s check out the steps involved in this process.
Steps to convert IMG to TAR
- Download and extract the zip file on your PC.
- After extracting, you’ll find the following files in the script folder:
- Now copy the .img file which you want to convert to tar.md5 in this script folder.
- Whatever may be the name of that IMG file, just rename it to recovery.img file.
- Look for ImgToTar.MD5 batch file present in that folder and double click it.
- As soon as you open it, the cmd window will appear.
- That’s it! This simple batch file will show its magic and create a tar.md5 file in that same folder.
- Finally! This way you can easily convert zip to tar using a scripted batch file.
Method 2: Convert IMG to tar using Odin Packager
In this method, we’ll use the Odin packager app and convert image files into TAR. Let’s get straight into it.
Steps to convert IMG to TAR
- Download and install the Odin Packager app on your Samsung mobile.
- Also, copy the .img file on your phone.
- Launch the app and click on the text area where the cursor is flashing.
- This will launch your file manager. Just open the .img file which you’ve copied earlier.
- Tap on the Make Odin flashable option. This will start the conversion process.
- This will create a tar.md5 file in your device.
- This way you can easily convert the image files into tar using the Odin packager app.
Method 3: Convert zip to tar using Cygwin
Cygwin Tool is a command-line interface for Microsoft Windows. Using this tool, we can easily convert Image to TAR files.
Steps for Conversion
- Download and install the Cygwin tool on your PC.
- Launch the Cygwin terminal.
- On your PC, navigate to local disk (C:) » Cygwin » Home.
- You’ll find these four files in it: .bash_profile, .bashrc, .inputrc, and .profile.
- Now copy the .img file (which you want to convert to tar.md5) here.
- Rename it to recovery.img.
- In the Cygwin terminal window, type the following commands and press the enter key.
tar -H ustar -c recovery.img > recovery.tar
md5sum -t recovery.tar >> recovery.tar
mv recovery.tar recovery.tar.md5
- This will create a recovery.tar.md5 file.
Great! This is how you can convert IMG to TAR or TAR.MD5 Odin files. Now you can go ahead and use this tar file for flashing with Odin tool. If you have any questions related to this guide, then kindly comment below.