Install Android 5.0 Lollipop on Galaxy Grand 2 with CM 12. Samsung launched Galaxy Grand for those users who wanted to experience a big screen without paying the flagship level prices. This was the most liked phone the days it was launched. So last year the company came up with its new version called Galaxy Grand 2 which had some amazing specs and 5.25-inch big screen.
The screen size and resolution that this phone had been quite similar with the aging Galaxy Note. Galaxy Grand 2 is the perfect example of how far technology has progressed in the past few years. You’re getting specifications that match or exceed a flagship that’s just a few years old at roughly half its price. This smartphone was released with Android 4.3 Jelly Bean OS which can be further upgraded to Android 4.4.2 KitKat OS.
It comes with a bigger 5.25″ display. Besides, this model is just slightly taller. The bezels given to this handset look amazing. Same as Note 3 it comes with a faux stitched leather at the back. The camera is same as it was in Grand duos. Many of the specs are similar between these two phones except the processor. The Broadcom dual-core Cortex-A9 CPU in Grand duos is replaced with quad-core Cortex-A7 made by Qualcomm.
However, till now there is no news from Samsung of releasing this latest update for Galaxy Grand 2. But if you cannot resist anymore and want to try the Android L on your Galaxy Grand 2 then try flashing custom ROM. Fortunately the Cyanogenmod developers recently launched their latest Cyanogenmod 12 Custom ROM based on the Android 5.0 Lollipop for Galaxy Grand 2.
Note that this ROM is currently in working stage and is developed only for testing purposes. But do not worry as with the further stable updates all the bugs and issues in it will get cleared up. If you have no problem with the bugs that this ROM has and if you just want to try out the latest Android Lollipop on your Galaxy Grand 2 then you may proceed to our actual guide given below.
Installing this CM 12 custom ROM might brick your Galaxy Grand 2. Implement the steps at your own risk. We at Droid Thunder will not be liable for any damage whatsoever.
This Cyanogenmod 12 custom ROM is only for Samsung Galaxy Grand 2 with model number SM-G7102 or SM-G7105. Do not flash this ROM on any other device as it may brick or permanently damage your phone.
- Ensure to charge your Galaxy Grand 2 at least up to 60%.
- Backup your contacts, messages, call logs, memos etc.
- Moreover, take backup of EFS folder present in your phones system directory.
- Also, install Samsung USB drivers on your PC.
- Ensure to root your Samsung Galaxy Grand 2.
- Finally, install the latest CWM or TWRP recovery on your phone.
Steps to install Android 5.0 Lollipop on Galaxy Grand 2:
- Download both the zip package files in a specific folder on your PC. Do not extract them. Now connect your Galaxy Grand 2 to PC using USB cable, enable USB debugging mode and copy the downloaded files on your phones SD card.
- Besides, safely disconnect your Galaxy Grand 2 from PC. Switch it off completely and boot into recovery mode. For that simultaneously keep pressing and holding Volume up+ Home button (middle button) + Power button till you enter recovery mode.
- Touch won’t work in recovery mode. So use Volume keys for navigating up and down and use Home button for selection.
- The first thing you need to do after entering recovery mode is that take a Nandroid backup of your current ROM.
- Now wipe the data and cache partitions from your phones internal memory. For doing so, navigate to the ‘wipe data/factory reset’ option using volume keys. Select it using Home button. On the next screen press Yes option to start the wiping process. Similarly navigate to the ‘wipe cache partition’ option and select it to wipe the caches. Note that this step will clear entire data from your phones internal memory including contacts, messages, apps, memos, call logs etc.
- Return to the main menu and select the Advanced option located on the recovery mode itself. On the next screen select Reboot Recovery option.
- Wait until you boot again into recovery.
- Let’s move to the actual Android 5.0 Lollipop themed ROM flashing process.
- Moreover, use Volume keys and navigate to the ‘install zip from SD card’ option. Select it using Home button. Then on the next screen select ‘choose zip from SD card’ option. This will show you all the files and folders present on your external SD card. Use Volume keys and navigate to the Android 5.0 Lollipop CM 12 ROM which you’ve copied earlier. Select it using Home button. On the next screen select ‘Yes’ option to start the actual Android 5.0 Lollipop ROM flashing process. Wait for some time to complete it flashing process.
- Again wipe the data/cache partitions from the recovery. To do so, select ‘wipe data/factory reset’ option and ‘wipe cache partition’ option. This step is essential to solve the boot loop issue.
- Similarly, flash the Google Apps package as you’ve flashed the ROM zip file. Just remember not to wipe data/cache after that.
- Everything completes here. Just reboot your Samsung Galaxy Grand 2 by selecting ‘reboot system now’ option from the recovery mode. The first boot takes more time to start than usual. But don’t worry after a couple of boots it’ll be normal.
- If you want to restore back your previous Rom, then you can do that by going back to the recovery mode by pressing & holding Home Button (middle button) + Power Button simultaneously and select ‘Backup and Restore’ option and then on next page select ‘Restore’ option. Select the ROM you want to restore.
Finally! You’ve successfully installed the latest Android 5.0 Lollipop based Cyanogenmod 12 Custom ROM on your Samsung Galaxy Grand 2 smartphone. If you want to verify this just go to Menu→Settings→About Phone. If you have any issues with this guide, then do let me know through the comments.