Install Android 5.0 Lollipop on Galaxy Grand 2 with CM 12. Samsung launched Galaxy Grand for those users who wanted to experience a big screen without paying the flagship-level prices. This was the most liked phone the days it was launched.
So last year the company came up with its new version called Galaxy Grand 2 which had some amazing specs and a 5.25-inch big screen. The screen size and resolution that this phone had been quite similar to the aging Galaxy Note.
Galaxy Grand 2 is the perfect example of how far technology has progressed in the past few years. You’re getting specifications that match or exceed a flagship that’s just a few years old at roughly half its price.
This smartphone was released with Android 4.3 Jelly Bean OS which can be further upgraded to Android 4.4.2 KitKat OS. It comes with a bigger 5.25″ display. Besides, this model is just slightly taller. The bezels given to this handset look amazing.
Same as Note 3 it comes with a faux stitched leather at the back. The camera is the same as it was in Grand duos. Many of the specs are similar between these two phones except the processor.
The Broadcom dual-core Cortex-A9 CPU in Grand duos is replaced with quad-core Cortex-A7 made by Qualcomm. However, till now there is no news from Samsung of releasing this latest update for Galaxy Grand 2.
But if you cannot resist anymore and want to try the Android L on your Galaxy Grand 2 then try flashing custom ROM. Fortunately, the Cyanogenmod developers recently launched their latest Cyanogenmod 12 Custom ROM based on the Android 5.0 Lollipop for Galaxy Grand 2.
Note that this ROM is currently in the working stage and is developed only for testing purposes. But do not worry as with the further stable updates all the bugs and issues in it will get cleared up.
If you have no problem with the bugs that this ROM has and if you just want to try out the latest Android Lollipop on your Galaxy Grand 2 then you may proceed to our actual guide given below.
Installing this CM 12 custom ROM might brick your Galaxy Grand 2. Implement the steps at your own risk. We at Droid Thunder will not be liable for any damage whatsoever.
This Cyanogenmod 12 custom ROM is only for Samsung Galaxy Grand 2 with model number SM-G7102 or SM-G7105. Do not flash this ROM on any other device as it may brick or permanently damage your phone.
- Ensure to charge your Galaxy Grand 2 at least up to 60%.
- Backup your contacts, messages, call logs, memos etc.
- Moreover, take a backup of the EFS folder present in your phone’s system directory.
- Also, install Samsung USB drivers on your PC.
- Ensure to root your Samsung Galaxy Grand 2.
- Finally, install the latest CWM or TWRP recovery on your phone.
Steps to install Android 5.0 Lollipop on Galaxy Grand 2:
- Download both the zip package files in a specific folder on your PC. Do not extract them.
- Now connect your Galaxy Grand 2 to PC using a USB cable, enable USB debugging mode, and copy the downloaded files on your phone’s SD card.
- Besides, safely disconnect your Galaxy Grand 2 from your PC. Switch it off completely and boot into recovery mode.
- or that simultaneously keep pressing and holding Volume up+ Home button (middle button) + Power button till you enter recovery mode.
- Touch won’t work in recovery mode. So use Volume keys for navigating up and down and use the Home button for selection.
- The first thing you need to do after entering recovery mode is that take a Nandroid backup of your current ROM.
- Now wipe the data and cache partitions from your phone’s internal memory.
- For doing so, navigate to the ‘wipe data/factory reset’ option using volume keys. Select it using the Home button.
- On the next screen press the Yes option to start the wiping process.
- Similarly, navigate to the ‘wipe cache partition’ option and select it to wipe the caches.
- Note that this step will clear entire data from your phone’s internal memory including contacts, messages, apps, memos, call logs etc.
- Return to the main menu and select the Advanced option located on the recovery mode itself.
- On the next screen select the Reboot Recovery option.
- Wait until you boot again into recovery.
- Let’s move to the actual Android 5.0 Lollipop themed ROM flashing process.
- Moreover, use Volume keys and navigate to the ‘install zip from SD card’ option.
- Select it using the Home button. Then on the next screen select ‘choose zip from SD card’ option.
- This will show you all the files and folders present on your external SD card.
- Use Volume keys and navigate to the Android 5.0 Lollipop CM 12 ROM which you’ve copied earlier. Select it using the Home button.
- On the next screen select the ‘Yes’ option to start the actual Android 5.0 Lollipop ROM flashing process.
- Wait for some time to complete it flashing process.
- Again wipe the data/cache partitions from the recovery. To do so, select the ‘wipe data/factory reset’ option and ‘wipe cache partition’ option. This step is essential to solve the boot loop issue.
- Similarly, flash the Google Apps package as you’ve flashed the ROM zip file.
- Just remember not to wipe data/cache after that.
- Everything completes here. Just reboot your Samsung Galaxy Grand 2 by selecting ‘reboot system now’ option from the recovery mode.
- The first boot takes more time to start than usual. But don’t worry after a couple of boots it’ll be normal.
Finally! You’ve successfully installed the latest Android 5.0 Lollipop based Cyanogenmod 12 Custom ROM on your Samsung Galaxy Grand 2 smartphone. If you want to verify this just go to Menu > Settings > About Phone. If you have any issues with this guide, then do let me know through the comments.
61 thoughts on “Install Android 5.0 Lollipop CM 12 on Galaxy Grand 2”
I am Confused wether to update or not
Take a Nandroid backup of your current ROM..then flash this ROM..If you are not impressed simple restore your previous one..
How back up of official current rom.??
Make nandroid backup from CWM recovery..Refer screenshots given in the article..
Wifi is working or not. In 5.0.2 custom rom cm12 .?
There is problem with Wifi..Wait for a stable update..
don’t we need to unlock boot loader
Yes of course..
That rom work on sm-g7105???
when i lock the screen it won’t wake up again!!
Mobile data is working or not? I mean browser through mobile data not through wifi connection.
when i lock the screen it won’t wake up again!!
Does it work on the SM-G710 model?
funciona en sm-g7105? como puedo hacerlo sin perder los datos de mi telefono ? apps, juegos, contactos, etc..
IS this file support on samsung galaxy grand neo?
Does it work on the SM-G710 model?
Funciona para el modelo g710?
IS WIFI WORKING NOW????
IS THIS A STABLE UPDATE???
Thanks for your work dude, but still not available …
Is any update planed ?
great work men, but are you sure this work on 7105?
Plz tell me can i intall cwm recovery and cm12 with mobile or i need computer. And secondly will wifi work on cm 12
the link show this:
Only the owner of this file has access. If you are the owner, please
switch accounts to access this file.
Not the owner? Please request access to this file.
Your request has been sent. You’ll be notified when access to this file has been granted by the owner.
The link has been fixed.. 🙂
do I get voice in both 2 sims ?
or one sim is on 3G & the another one on 2G ?
I mean Do I get voice in calls sure* 😀
thnx in advance.
did my comment got deleted or what bro ? 🙂
do I get voice in calls in 2 sims or what ?
both sims are in 3G or one in 3G & the another in 2G ot both on 3G mode ?
hey there!!! i have a big problem..i can’t open my camera….when i clicked on camera then it said open failed…now what can i do..i m using 4.3 on my grand 2 dous..plz i need help…
I’m having G7-105
And I badly need this upgrade to lollipop
But not sure if its safe or not
After doing each and every step when i choose backup and restore will that be able to get my data back, like all my preferences and settings
How precisely is it safe for the device?
Firstly take complete backup of your current ROM..then flash this lollipop rom..and if you are not satisfied you may restore..Its completely safe..and if anything goes wrong i’ll provide official firmware for your device..
How do perfoem the complete backup of my ROM?
And what does flash means?
Refer step 4 from the article to perform complete backup..Flash means installing the ROM..
I am scared :/
My model no is SM-G7102,
both SIM voice call will work ??
m not able to install google apps…nd m not able to upgrade it… plz help
What are the issues that still needs to be addressed for this ROM, just want to understand the impact on services/capabilities by upgrading to this ROM?
When I install cwm i have a problem
E:booter is wrong
Cwm recovery mode is not working
The phn isn’t going into cwm recovery mode
It is showing android device recovery mode
Wht to do?
Re-flash updated CWM recovery..
Has the issue with the wifi and videoplay solved??
Here can i get the link for the most stable version for samsung grand 2 – 7102
I question whether this rom certainly works for g7105 not che me in this wiezrzyc I have some there any screenshots ?
Yes it works on G7105..
Will my root vanish after doing this?
I need to know if u have some ROM STABLE for G-710 (Version Argentina) or this ROM (without wifi error) will works Ok. I hope you can help me.. Thanks !
plz help me to install lollipop…………………………………..can i use mobile data to install lollipop…………………………………plz reply………………………
Mobile data is required only to download the mentioned zip file..After that no need..
Does it works on g710??? reply someone please
Hello ! Wifi is fix or not ? Sorry for my english i’m french thanks you 🙂
Hey Abhijeet, mine is G7105 i hope it works as you said. But i wanted to ask two questions. Is the Wifi working now?like is it stable? I mean most people need Wifi, so. I will flash it but i need to know anyways. And does bootloader has to be done before this? Thanks man.
Buenas me gustaria saber si es ya 100% seguro la cancelacion de lollipop para el samsung galaxy grand 2, gracias.
How to install zip file for galaxy grand 2 from which website i can download it
The download link is given in guide above..
como descargo la rom
I want video plzzzz
How to change lollipop full video I want
I have grand-2 one simcard i mean Sm-g710 and it’s like no one cares about it there isn’t anywhere in the web where they’ve released any firmware for this model of grand 2. i’m wondering what’s the problem and whether i can install this firmware or not, if the answer is no what should i do then?
Wifii kam kr rha h ki na ab itta bta de bass re