Install Android 5.1.1 Lollipop CM12.1 on Sprint Galaxy S3. Galaxy S3 made a tremendous impact on Android users when it was released. The main reason behind its success was the specifications it has. Some of its specs include Qualcomm Snapdragon processor, 8 megapixel camera, 2100 mAh battery, 4.8 inches of Super AMOLED touchscreen with 720 x 1280 pixels resolution and much more.
After making the Sprint Galaxy S3 users wait for what seemed like a lifetime, Cyanogenmod community has finally released a stable version of CM 12.1 custom ROM based on the latest Android 5.1.1 Lollipop Operating system. This ROM comes with additional features from Cyanogenmod along with Android Lollipop features. With this Cyanogenmod 12.1 ROM you can enjoy and experience bloatware free, battery efficient, tons of customization and daily nightly updates on your Sprint Galaxy S3 smartphone.
The procedure mentioned below on how to install Android 5.1.1 Lollipop CM12.1 on Sprint Galaxy S3 is quite risky and a slight mistake can completely damage your phone. If such happened then neither do I nor the developers of this ROM will be held responsible for that.
This Cyanogenmod 12.1 custom ROM must be installed only on Samsung Galaxy S3 Sprint having model number SPH-L710. Do not flash this ROM on any other device except the one mentioned as it may brick your phone.
- Charge your Sprint Galaxy S3 at least up to 60%.
- Backup all your phones data and settings including contacts, messages, call logs, memos etc.
- Also, take a backup of EFS folder present in your phones system directory.
- Make sure you have installed mobile USB drivers on your PC.
- Also root and install CWM or TWRP recovery on your phone.
Steps to install Android 5.1.1 Lollipop on Sprint Galaxy S3:
- Download both the zip package files in a specific folder on your PC. Do not extract them.
- Now connect your Sprint Galaxy S3 to PC using USB cable, enable mass storage mode and copy the downloaded files on your phones SD card.
- Then safely disconnect your Sprint Galaxy S3 from PC. Switch it off completely and boot into CWM touch recovery mode. For doing so, keep pressing and holding Volume up+ Home button (middle button) + Power button till you enter recovery mode.
- After you enter recovery, the first thing you need to do is take a Nandroid backup of your current ROM.
- Moreover, wipe data and cache partitions from your phones internal memory. For doing so, select the ‘wipe data/factory reset’ option. On the next screen press Yes option to start the wiping process. Similarly, select the ‘wipe cache partition’ option to wipe the caches. Remember that wiping will clear out every data present on your phone so make a complete backup before implementing this step.
- Return to the main menu and select the Advanced option located on the recovery mode itself. On the next screen select Reboot Recovery option.
- Wait until you boot again into recovery.
- Let’s move to the actual Android 5.1.1 Lollipop based CM 12.1 ROM flashing process.
- Now click on the ‘install zip from SD card’ option. Then on the next screen select ‘choose zip from SD card’ option. This will show you all the files and folders present on your SD card. So just navigate to the Android 5.1.1 Lollipop based CM 12.1 ROM which you’ve copied earlier and select it. On the next screen select ‘Yes’ option to initiate the actual Android 5.1.1 Lollipop CM 12.1 ROM flashing process. Be patient and wait for the process to complete.
- Again wipe the data/cache partitions by selecting ‘wipe data/factory reset’ and ‘wipe cache partition’ options. This step is essential to solve the boot loop issue.
- Similarly, flash the Google Apps package as you’ve flashed the ROM zip file. Just remember not to wipe data/cache after that.
- Just reboot your Sprint Galaxy S3 by selecting ‘reboot system now’ option from the recovery mode. You’ll notice that the first boot takes more time to start than usual.
- Note: If you want to restore back your previous saved ROM, then you can do that by entering back into recovery mode and then selecting ‘Restore’ option. Then you may select the saved ROM you want to restore.
Finally! Your Samsung Galaxy S3 Sprint SPH-L710 smartphone has been successfully flashed with the latest Android 5.1.1 Lollipop based Cyanogenmod 12.1 Custom ROM. You can verify the same from Menu→Settings→About Phone. If you come across any difficulty while going through this process then do let me know through the comment section below.