Update Samsung Galaxy Mini/Pop S5570 to Android 4.2.1 via Cyanogenmod 10.1. Samsung Galaxy Mini/Pop GT-S5570 has received a stable Android 4.2.1 Jelly Bean update. This is certainly not an official firmware by Samsung since the device is incompatible with the newly launched versions. Lack of hardware and RAM compatibility are the most responsible components here. Due to which the Samsung Company stopped providing further official updates beyond after Android 2.3.6 Gingerbread for the same. But its the third party android developers who took an initiative step and started working on this low end device. They launched several custom ROMs based on the newly released Android versions. Thus it was possible for the Galaxy Mini/Pop users to enjoy and experience all those latest advanced and devastating features on their phone.
This time its the well known Cyanogenmod team who have brought an absolute stable custom ROM based on the Android 4.2.1 Jelly Bean. Since its Cyanogenmod, you will definitely experience some breath taking features on your device. Along with that you are also getting the Jelly Bean features. Thus a combo pack of features is waiting for you. This ROM is exceptionally good, bug free and very smooth in performance. Some of its working features and Changelogs are listed below. Check them out.
- Display and touch screen (with multi touch).
- GPS & Network Location.
- USB Mass Storage.
- SD Card.
- Wi-fi tethering.
- USB tethering.
- Video playback.
- Updated AndroidArmv6 and Cyanogenmod.
- Fixed bookmark sync.
- Native Wifi tether.
- Nightly 20130105.
- Camera: crash fixes.
- OMX Fix (Thanks to Gangster41).
- Source updates.
- Minor bug fixes.
The process of flashing Android 4.2.1 on Galaxy Mini/Pop given below is risky and may permanently damage your Galaxy Mini/Pop if not done properly. The android users who are used to this stuff may freely perform everything. But those having no experience are recommended to attempt all the steps carefully and at your own risk. If in case your Galaxy Mini/Pop gets damaged or bricked by using this article then neither we nor the developers will be held responsible for that. Although the chances that your device will get damaged is least, but still I recommend you to follow all the given procedure properly and without any single mistake. Also note that this update must be only performed on Samsung Galaxy Mini/Pop bearing the model number GT-S5570. Flashing this on any other device or variant may result into unwanted outcomes or even bricked device. It’s would be much better if you verify your device model number with the number given above from Homescreen–> Menu–>Settings –> About Phone.
- Check your mobiles battery power first. If your phone gets switch off during the process then it will not only interrupt the flashing but may also lead to further problems. Thus I highly recommend to charge the battery of your Galaxy Mini/Pop at least up to 60%.
- In the last step of this procedure, you need to wipe your entire data and cache present on your phones internal memory. So all your Contacts, Messages, APN settings, Call logs etc. present on your device will get wiped. So it will be better if you backup all these things before proceeding further. For doing so, connect your Galaxy Mini/Pop to PC, enable USB debugging mode and backup everything for more safety.
- Make sure that Samsung device drivers are installed on your PC so as to recognize your device when connected to PC. You can install them by installing Kies or manually install them from the link given below:
- There is a folder named EFS present in your system directory. This is a very sensitive folder as it contains all your phones specific information such as the IMEI number, wireless devices MAC addresses, product code, and much more. If while wiping all the data and cache, this folder also gets deleted by mistake then this will be a great disaster for you. Your device will no longer be recognized by your carrier & will become just useless. If so happened, you won’t be able to receive or make a call and message either. Refer our article to backup and restore EFS/IMEI data:
- Ensure that your Galaxy Mini/Pop is rooted. Along with that make sure that a custom recovery like Clockworkmod (CWM) or TWRP recovery is installed on your Galaxy Mini/Pop. You may refer our article given below for doing so.
Procedure to update Samsung Galaxy Mini/Pop S5570 to Android 4.2.1 ROM:
Step 1: After successful downloading both the package files given above, connect your mobile to PC, enable USB debugging mode and transfer them (without extracting) on your external SD card. Remember not to place them in deep directories.
Step 2: Disconnect your Mini/Pop from PC and switch it off completely.
Step 3: You need to enter into the recovery mode now. For that hold ‘Home Button (middle button) + Power Button’ simultaneously until the recovery mode appears.
Note: Touch won’t work in this recovery. So use your device Volume Up and Down keys for navigation and Home button for selection.
Step 4: If this CM 10.1 ROM fails while flashing or some problem occurs and you want your previous ROM (the one you are using now) back, then a Nandroid backup feature of CWM will help you out. Nandroid backup is the backup of your entire operating system & helps you easily restore the saved previous ROM from the CWM recovery in case of some emergency.
Refer our detailed article for taking Nandroid backup:
For doing same, navigate to the ‘backup & restore’ option on the recovery mode itself and on the next screen select ‘backup’ option. This will make a complete nandroid backup of your current ROM. Refer the screenshot given below.
Let’s install Android 4.2.1 on Galaxy Mini/Pop now.
Step 5: After taking proper nandroid backup, again return to the main menu of recovery mode and select the ‘install zip from SD card ‘ option located on the recovery mode itself. Then on the next screen select ‘choose zip from SD card’ option. This will show you all the files and folders present on your external SD card along with Android 4.2.1 ROM package which you’ve copied earlier. Select it using home button. On the next screen, press ‘Yes’ option to begin the actual ROM flashing process. It will hardly take 5 to 10 few minutes to complete. Be patient until the process is completed fully.
Step 6: After successful flashing process, again return to the main menu of recovery mode and select ‘wipe data/factory reset’ option followed by ‘wipe cache partition’ option which will clear all your data & caches from your phones memory.
Step 7: Now lets flash the Google Apps (containing Google Play Store, Gmail, Maps etc) which you have copied earlier. The procedure is same like you flashed the Cyanogenmod ROM except the last step. After successful GApps package installation, remember not to wipe data.
All the flashing processes completes here. You just need to reboot your device now. The same can be done by selecting ‘reboot system now’ option from the recovery mode. Keep in mind that the first boot will take more time to start than usual.
Note: If you are not fully satisfied with this ROM and want to restore back your previous one then you can do that by simply going back to the recovery mode by holding Home Button (middle button) + Power Button simultaneously and select ‘Backup and Restore’ option and then on next screen select ‘Restore’ option. This will show all the saved backups of your previous ROMs. Just select the one you want & restore it.
If you want to install the latest Android 5.0 Lollipop themed ROM on your Samsung Galaxy Mini GT-S5570 then refer our guide:
Yeepi! You have successfully installed the Cyanogenmod 10.1 ROM running on the Android 4.2.1 on Galaxy Mini/Pop S5570. You can verify the same from Menu->Settings->About Phone. Enjoy the amazing features of Cyanogenmod. Do tell us your views and experience after using the same. I have made this article so simple that even a newbie can understand it properly, still if you have any doubt or query regarding the same then you can inform us through the comments provided below. We’ll help you out. Till then Enjoy! 🙂