Install Android 5.1.1 Lollipop CM12.1 ROM on Moto G 3rd Gen. The Moto G 2015 was launched two months ago with some amazing and breath taking features. With great efforts the well known xda developer squid2 and Alberto97 have recently developed the latest Android 5.1.1 Lollipop based Cyanogenmod 12.1 ROM for Motorola Moto G 3rd Generation 2015 smartphone. In this article we’ve discussed detailed step by step procedure on how to install Android 5.1.1 Lollipop CM12.1 ROM on Moto G 3rd Gen. But before you proceed further you need root as well as install custom recovery like twrp on your device. If you haven’t done anything yet, just don’t worry as we have posted an article on the same a few days back.
Note that this Cyanogenmod 12.1 is not an official firmware from Motorola but an unofficial custom ROM. This means that your Moto G 2015 warranty will get void with the installation of this ROM. Since there still isn’t a kernel for the Moto G, this CM12.1 custom ROM utilizes the kernel from the Moto E LTE 2015 variant. Before proceeding further make a complete backup of all your phone data and settings. This ROM is completely stable, fast and less laggy. Interested users may proceed to our actual Android 5.1.1 Lollipop CM12.1 ROM flashing process given below.
If you are doing this for the first time then I recommend you to stop right at this point. Only those Android users who have complete knowledge of this stuff are free to proceed further. Any wrong move can cause severe damage to your Moto G 3rd Gen smartphone. In case if you brick your phone by performing the steps given in this article then neither I nor the developers of this ROM will be held responsible for that. Although I assure you that no such thing will happen to your device if you follow each and every step correctly without any mistake.
This Android 5.1.1 Lollipop based Cyanogenmod ROM is compatible only and only with Moto G 3rd Generation (2015). Do not even think of trying this on any other device as it may cause permanent damage or even brick your phone. So firstly confirm the device you are using and then proceed.
- Ensure that you’ve charged your device battery at least upto 60%. This is essential as low battery power can increase the chances of interruption during the Android 5.1.1 Lollipop based CM 12.1 ROM flashing process.
- Backup all the data present on your phone including your contacts, messages, call logs, memos, whatsapp messages, installed apps etc. You can copy them on your external SD card or for more safety on PC. This is highly recommended as everything needs to be wiped in the last step of this procedure.
- Ensure that your is Moto G 3rd Gen smartphone is rooted. Also a custom recovery like Clockworkmod (CWM) or TWRP must be installed before proceeding further. If you haven’t installed yet, then follow our guide given below:
- Make sure that you’ve enabled the USB debugging mode on your phone. If not, then do so by following the path Menu->Settings->Developer options ->USB debugging. If you can’t see Developer option then go to Settings->About Phone and tap 7 times on the Build number. This will appear the Developer option in the Settings menu.
Procedure to install Android 5.1.1 Lollipop based CM 12.1 ROM on Moto G 3rd Gen:
- Download Android 5.1.1 Lollipop based Cyanogenmod 12.1 ROM for Moto G 3rd Gen.
- Download Google Apps (GApps).
Step 1: Download the CM ROM package file on your PC. Do not extract this zip file.
Step 2: Now connect your Moto G 3rd Gen to PC and transfer this file on your phones internal memory. Then safely disconnect the phone from PC & switch it off completely.
Step 3: Next you need to boot into bootloader mode. For that press and hold Volume down key + Power button simultaneously until you land into bootloader mode.
Step 4: Now using Volume up and down keys you can perform various operations like restart bootloader, enter recovery mode, start bootloader mode etc. Now using Volume keys open Recovery mode option and select it using Power button.
Step 5: As soon as you hit the power button your phone will boot into TWRP recovery mode. Firstly make a complete backup of your current ROM. For doing so, click on the Backup option present on the recovery itself. Swipe on the next screen to start the backup process.
Step 6: Then press back button to enter the main menu of recovery and select the Wipe option.
Step 7: On the next screen swipe to wipe all the data/cache from your phone. Note that this step will clear all the data present on your phone so I assume that you have backed up everything before (Refer the Pre-requisites section).
Step 8: After wiping out everything press back button and select the Install option. This will show you all the files present on your phones memory.
Step 9: Just navigate to the Android 5.1.1 Lollipop based Cyanogenmod 12.1 custom ROM and select it. On the next screen just swipe to start the actual flashing process.
Step 10: Wait for the process to complete. It will hardly take few minutes. After completion, you’ll see the successful message on the screen.
Step 11: Now similarly flash the GApps zip file as you’ve installed the custom ROM. Just remember not to wipe data after that.
Step 12: After completing everything mentioned above, restart the phone by selecting the Reboot option present on the recovery mode itself.
Note: The first boot will take more time than usual.
You did it! You’ve successfully installed the Android 5.1.1 based CM12.1 ROM on Moto G 3rd Gen smartphone. You can confirm the same from Menu->Settings->About Phone. Enjoy all the Android 5.1.1 Lollipop features on your Moto G 3rd Gen with this completely stable and fast custom ROM. Also don’t forget to share your views after using it. If you have any problem regarding this stuff then just inform me through the comments section. Till then Enjoy! 🙂