Samsung Galaxy Grand Duos (I9082/I9082L) has recently received the latest Android 4.4.2 KitKat update. Thanks to AOKP team who made this possible. Although its un-official, still you can experience all those new KitKat features through this custom ROM. Everybody knows that AOKP is the second most well known and recognized custom ROM after Cyanogenmod. The only custom ROM people prefers other than CM is AOKP. The main reason behind this is the customization that their ROMs provide. You will feel a new kind of freedom and flexibility while using this ROM. It has one of the best looking themes and amazingly designed user interface. Its further eye catchy features include navigational elements, beautiful apps and smart dialing which make the default music client more customizable. The music app offered by this ROM uses less memory than the stock music player.
The update of AOKP ROM given below for Samsung Galaxy Grand duos I9082/I9082L is based on the latest Android 4.4.2 KitKat and is much risky. It may highly damage your phone if not done properly. We always recommend our every android user to read, follow and attempt every single step correctly and at your own risk. If some how your Galaxy Grand duos gets damaged or bricked by following this article then neither we nor the developers will be held liable for that. Even though the chances that your device will get damaged is least, but still I highly recommend you to follow everything properly without attempting anything by your own.
Note that this AOKP KitKat ROM is only & only compatible for Samsung Galaxy Grand duos having the model number I9082/I9082L. Installing this on any other device or variant will result into unwanted outcomes or bricked device. So you must verify your device model number with the number given above from Homescreen–> Menu–>Settings –> About Phone.
- Make sure you have charged your device battery before moving further. There is always a risk of switching your mobile off during the flashing process of course due to lack of battery power. A proper battery backup will always decrease the risk of interruption in flashing process thus reducing further problems. So I highly recommend to charge the battery of your phone at least up to 70%.
- Backup your entire data including contacts, SMS/MMS, APN settings, Memo, Call-logs etc. Thie is much essential before flashing any kind of custom ROM. Its because in the last step of this procedure you need to wipe all the data present in your phones internal memory. So backup everything mentioned.
- Make sure that Samsung device drivers are installed on your PC so as to recognize your device when connected to PC. You can install them by installing Kies or manually install them from the link given below:
- Backup of a folder named EFS present in your system directory is must. This folder contains all your phones IMEI number, wireless device MAC addresses, product code, and much more. If some how this folder gets wiped, then this will make your phone completely useless & will no longer be recognized by your carrier. Refer our article to backup and restore EFS/IMEI data:
- Make sure that your Grand duos is rooted and a custom recovery like Clockworkmod (CWM) or TWRP is installed in it. If not, then follow our article for the same.
- (Important!) For flashing Android 4.4.2 KitKat you need to have the latest Custom recovery like 184.108.40.206 installed on your Galaxy Grand duos. If you haven’t installed it yet, then don’t worry just follow this steps given below:
Step 1: Download the latest CWM 220.127.116.11 recovery package from Here.
Step 2: Using USB data cable connect your phone to PC, enable USB debugging mode and transfer this recovery on your SD card.
Step 3: Now disconnect your phone from PC and switch it off completely.
Step 4: You need to enter into recovery mode now. For doing so, keep holding Volume up, home button and power button simultaneously until the recovery mode appears.
Step 5: In recovery mode, using volume keys navigate to the option Install from SD card and select it to install this latest 18.104.22.168 recovery.
After successful flashing of the latest CWM 22.214.171.124 recovery, proceed further for the actual Android 4.4.2 KitKat AOKP ROM installation process.
Procedure to update Galaxy Grand duos I9082/I9082L to AOKP ROM [Android 4.4.2]:
Step 1: After successful downloading the AOKP ROM given above, connect your phone to PC using USB cable, enable USB debugging mode and transfer that ROM package on your SD card. Do not extract this zip file. Also remember not to place it in deep directories.
Step 2: Disconnect the phone from PC and switch it off completely.
Step 3: Enter into recovery mode now. For doing so, hold ‘Home Button (middle button) + Volume Up + Power Button’ simultaneously until the recovery mode appears.
Note: Touch will not work in recovery, so you need to use Volume Up and Down keys for navigation and Home button for selection.
Step 4: Make a proper nandroid backup before proceeding further. Actually nandroid backup is the backup of your entire operating system & is much essential in case if this installation fails or if some problem occurs, you can easily restore your saved previous ROM from the CWM recovery.
Refer our detailed article for taking Nandroid backup:
For taking a proper nandroid backup, navigate to the ‘backup & restore’ option on the recovery mode itself and on the next screen select ‘backup’ option. This will make a complete nandroid backup of your current ROM. Refer the screenshot given below for taking a proper backup.
Next we’ll move to the actual AOKP ROM flashing process.
Step 6: Return to the main menu of recovery mode and navigate to ‘install zip from SD card ‘ option & select it. Then on the next screen select ‘choose zip from SD card’ option. This will show all the files & folders present on your external SD card. Select the AOKP ROM package which you’ve copied earlier. Press ‘Yes’ option on the next screen to initiate the flashing process. You need to wait for minutes to complete the flashing process. Just be patient.
Step 7: After successful flashing process, select ‘wipe data/factory reset’ option followed by ‘wipe cache partition’ option on the recovery mode to clear all your data & caches from the phones memory respectively.
Step 8: Now you need to flash Google Apps package file given above containing Google Play Store, Gmail, GTalk etc. separately after successfully installing the AOKP ROM. Flash it in the same manner as you’ve flashed the ROM but note that not to wipe data/cache partition after flashing GApps.
Step 9: All the flashing process completes here. Just restart your device by selecting ‘reboot system now’ option from the recovery mode. The first boot takes more time to start than usual.
Note: If you don’t like this ROM and want to restore back your previous Rom you can do that by simply going back to the recovery mode by holding Home Button (middle button) + Volume Up + Power Button simultaneously and select ‘Backup and Restore’ option and then on next screen select ‘Restore’ option.
Vovo! You have successfully flashed the all new Android 4.4.2 KitKat based AOKP ROM on your Samsung Galaxy Grand Duos (I9082/I9082L). Enjoy the KitKat flavored features on your Grand Duos (I9082/I9082L) with this ROM. With its speed it can make your slow and laggy device a much more usable. I have made this article very simple to understand, still if you come across any difficulty or have problem while going through any step from the process then without hesitating let me know through the comments section below. I am always here to help you out. Till then Enjoy! 🙂