Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean update is now available for Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100G device. This international variant smartphone was launched in November and has slight chances that in Galaxy S2 I9100. It has PowerVR SGX540 GPU which is good enough for high definition android games. With TI OMAP chipset this phone offers slightly better talk times than i9100. So in this article we are going to discuss the much stable jelly bean based MIUI ROM for Galaxy S2 I9100G. All thanks goes to firstly of course the MIUI team, then ingbrzy, cesco73, ixanza, meredithhan and many more. This ROM has multi language as well as complete xposed support which is quite interesting. Some of its features and change logs are listed below. Go check them out.
- Based on AOSP 4.2.2
- Inbuilt Theme Engine with Theme Manager Guard Mode
- Access Control
- Messaging: Smart Auto Recipient
- Network Assistant
- ROM Backup and Restore
- Password Settings
- Complete Autostart Control
- Multi Language Support
- Xposed Support (Install the latest 2.3 Xposed)
- Backlit LED Notification
- Phone: Full Screen Caller ID with Auto Record Options
- Permission Manager
- Anti-Spam Manager
- Virus Scan
- Unique Flip Styled Statusbar [Transparent]
- Do Not Disturb Mode
- Fast and Slim Launcher
- MiCloud Service with 10GB!!
- MiDownload Manager
- Phone: Fix – Singapore build was not able to make emergency 999 calls. Fix – Card scanning accessories were not being recognized by the phone.
- Camera: Smart face beauty mode supported (The front camera can automatically make your face thinner and eyes larger). Skin beauty effect becomes more natural. Improved focusing in weak lights.
- Calendar: Fix – When switching languages, user was not able to switch time zones properly.
- Security Center: After you exit Do Not Disturb mode, unread indicators will be cleared. Fix – Sometimes virus scan would FC.
- Video: Merged Video and Video player apps. Fix – When playing video on a DLNA device, the name displayed by the Video player and the name displayed in the list were different.
- Weather: Notifications for weather forecasts are enabled by default. Fix – Sometimes weather data would not be displayed in the correct language after user switched system languages
This update given below for flashing Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean on Galaxy S2 I9100G is risky & must be performed with an attentive mind. A wrong move and your device will get permanently damaged. The newbies are highly recommended to stop right at this point. And the ones who have already done this before are freely allowed proceed further. The chances that your Galaxy S2 will damaged or bricked is least, still if by mistake such thing happens then neither we nor the developers will be held responsible for that. I just recommend you to follow all the given procedure step by step properly and without attempting anything by your own.
Note that this update is only compatible for Samsung Galaxy S2 bearing the model number I9100G. Installing this update on any other device or variant may result into unwanted outcomes or bricked device. You can verify your device model number with the number given above from Homescreen–> Menu–>Settings –> About Phone.
- Lack of battery life might increases the chances of interruption during the flashing process thus leading into further problems. Thus I highly recommend to charge the battery of your Galaxy S2 I9100G at least up to 70%.
- Backup your entire phone data before proceeding further. This decreases the chance of loosing your important data which may include your contacts, messages, apn settings and call logs etc. All these must be backed up to memory card or on your PC for safety. Also one thing you must note that in the last step of this procedure there is a need to wipe your phones entire data and cache. So a backup is must.
- Make sure that Samsung device drivers are installed on your PC so as to recognize your device when connected to PC. You can install them by installing Kies or manually install them from the link given below:
- EFS folder, a very sensitive folder present in your system directory must be backed up. This folder contains all your phones specific information such as the IMEI, wireless devices MAC addresses, product code, and much more. There is always a risk that sometimes flashing ROM may corrupt the content within this EFS folder. If so happened, your device will be completely useless & will no longer be recognized by your carrier. Refer our article to backup and restore EFS/IMEI data:
- Make sure that your Galaxy S2 I9100G is rooted. Also a Custom recovery like CWM (Clockworkmod) or TWRP must be installed on your phone before proceeding further.
Procedure to update Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100G to MIUI ROM [Android 4.2.2]:
Step 1: After downloading MIUI ROM package & GApps package files, connect your Galaxy S2 I9100G to your PC. Enable MTP mode for accessing the internal /external storage and transfer both these files (without extracting) on the root directory of your device. We have purposefully mentioned ‘root directory’ here since it is the most convenient location for accessing whenever you land in recovery mode.
Step 2: Disconnect your phone from PC & switch it off.
Step 3: Enter into recovery mode now. For that press & hold ‘Home Button (middle button) + Volume Up + Power Button’ simultaneously until you land into recovery mode.
Step 4: Firstly make a nandroid backup. It is the backup of your entire operating system & can be very useful in case if this installation fails or some problem occurs, then you can easily restore your saved previous ROM.
Refer our detailed article for taking Nandroid backup:
Step 5: For doing same, navigate to the ‘backup & restore’ option on the recovery mode itself and on the next screen select ‘backup’ option. This will make a complete nandroid backup of your current ROM. Refer the screenshot given below.
Step 6: Select ‘wipe data/factory reset’ option followed by ‘wipe cache partition’ option on the recovery mode to clear all your data & caches from the phones memory respectively. Note that you have backed up everything before attempting this step (as mentioned in prerequisites).
Let’s move to the actual ROM installation process now.
Step 7: Navigate to the ‘install zip from SD card ‘ option located on the recovery mode & select it. Then on the next screen select ‘choose zip from SD card’ option. This will show your data present on internal/external storage on your phone. Select the ROM package file which you’ve transferred earlier. On the next page select ‘Yes’ to confirm the installation. This will start the actual Android 4.2.2 Jelly bean flashing process. Be patient and wait for the process to complete.
Step 8: After successful flashing process, you’ll again land into recovery mode. Again select ‘wipe data/factory reset’ option followed by ‘wipe cache partition’ option on the recovery mode to clear all data & cache. Note that this step will solve the boot loop issue.
Step 9: Now use the same procedure for flashing Google Apps. But remember not to attempt the last step of wiping data after installing them.
Step 10: Restart your device by selecting ‘reboot system now’ option from the recovery mode. The first boot will take more time to start than usual.
Note: If you want to restore back your previous Rom, then you can do that by going back to the recovery mode by pressing & holding Home Button (middle button) + Volume Up + Power Button simultaneously and select ‘Backup and Restore’ option and then on next page select ‘Restore’ option. Select the ROM you want to restore.
Finally! MIUI Custom ROM based on Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean has been successfully flashed on your Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100G. Enjoy Jelly Bean features along with the MIUI features. Do tell us your views & experience after using this ROM. I have made this article very straight forward & to the point still if you come across any difficulty or have problem regarding the content, then comment us immediately. We’ll provide an exact solution for your each problem. Till then Enjoy! 🙂