Google has gone far ahead with its Android operating system and recently they announced their latest Android 5.0 OS version called Android Lollipop. The final official update for Galaxy Grand duos was stopped at Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean. After Android 4.2.2 JB OS Samsung never looked back to this phone.
That’s the reason the Grand duos users need to rely on those unofficial custom ROMs to experience the new fresh versions of Android. Till now, we have posted several custom ROMs for Grand duos i9082 and i9082L. But among all these ROMs the most famous and well known is Cyanogenmod Custom ROM.
Besides, this ROM is designed to increase your device performance and reliability over stock Android. Moreover, with its speed it can make your slow device a much more usable. Furthermore, if you happen to be a Galaxy Grand Duos I9082 or I9082L user & you wish to get the latest version of Android running on your device then CM 12 is the ROM that will do the job for you and get the Lollipop flavor on your device.
This Android 5.0 Lollipop CM 12 Custom ROM update given below is of much risk and a slight change can damage your device completely. Only advanced Android users who have a complete knowledge of this stuff are allowed to proceed further. If by mistake any damage happens to your Galaxy Grand duos then neither we nor the developers will be liable for that.
This Android 5.0 Lollipop CM 12 ROM is only for Samsung Galaxy Grand duos with the model number GT-i9082/i9082L. Do not flash this on any other device or variant as it might brick the phone.
- Charge your phone to at least 50%.
- Backup your important phone data and settings before going further.
- Moreover, backup EFS folder present in your phones system directory.
- Install the latest Samsung USB drivers on your PC.
- Enable the USB Debugging mode on your device.
- Root and install CWM recovery on Grand Duos.
Steps to install CM12 ROM on Galaxy Grand duos:
- Download both the files in a specific folder on your PC. Remember not to extract them.
- Now using USB cable connect your Grand duos to PC, enable USB debugging mode and transfer both the package files on your device SD card. Do not extract these files. Also remember not to place it in deep directories.
- Then disconnect the phone from PC and switch it off completely. You have to enter into recovery mode now. For that keep pressing ‘Home Button (middle button) + Volume Up + Power Button’ simultaneously until the recovery mode appears.
- Touch will not work here in recovery, so you need to use Volume Up and Down keys for navigation and Home button for selection.
- Now make a complete Nandroid backup of your current ROM.
- After taking a complete backup, Select ‘wipe data/factory reset’ option followed by ‘wipe cache partition’ option on the recovery mode to clear all your data & caches from the device memory respectively.
- Using back button return to the main menu of recovery mode and navigate to ‘install zip from SD card ‘ option. Select it using Home button. Then on the next screen select ‘choose zip from SD card’ option. This will show all the data present on your external SD card. Select the Cyanogenmod 12 ROM package file which you’ve copied earlier. Press ‘Yes’ option on the next screen to initiate the flashing process.
- Wait for few minutes to complete the flashing process. After successful flashing process, return and again select ‘wipe data/factory reset’ option followed by ‘wipe cache partition’ option on the recovery mode to clear all your phone data & caches.
- After completing everything as mentioned above, navigate to the Advanced option located on the recovery mode itself. Select Reboot Recovery option on the next page.
- Now you need to flash Google Apps package file which contains Google Play Store, Gmail, etc. For that again navigate to the ‘install zip from SD card ‘ option & on the next screen select ‘choose zip from SD card’ option. Select the GApps zip package and initiate the flashing process.
- All the flashing process completes here. Just restart your Grand duos by selecting ‘reboot system now’ option from the recovery mode. Note that the first boot will take more time to start than usual.
- If you want to enable Dual SIM, install this Terminal Emulator app and lunch it. Then enter these following commands in it:
su setprop persist.radio.multisim.config dsds
Note: If you don’t like this ROM and want to restore back your previous Rom you can do that by simply going back to the recovery mode by holding Home Button (middle button) + Volume Up + Power Button simultaneously and select ‘Backup and Restore’ option and then on next screen select ‘Restore’ option.
Finally! You have successfully flashed the all new Android 5.0 Lollipop based Cyanogenmod 12 Custom ROM on your Samsung Galaxy Grand Duos (I9082/I9082L). You may verify the same from Menu–>Settings –> About Phone. If you face any difficulty or have suggestions or queries then let me know in the comments section below.