Install Android 5.1.1 Lollipop CM12.1 ROM on Moto G 3rd Gen. The Moto G 2015 was launched two months ago with some amazing and breathtaking features. With great efforts, the well known XDA developer squid2 and Alberto97 have recently developed the latest Android 5.1.1 Lollipop based Cyanogenmod 12.1 ROM for Motorola Moto G 3rd Generation 2015 smartphone.
In this article, we’ve discussed a detailed step-by-step procedure on how to install Android 5.1.1 Lollipop CM12.1 ROM on Moto G 3rd Gen. But before you proceed further you need root as well as install custom recovery like TWRP on your device. If you haven’t done anything yet, just don’t worry as we have posted an article on the same a few days back.
Note that this Cyanogenmod 12.1 is not an official firmware from Motorola but an unofficial custom ROM. This means that your Moto G 2015 warranty will get void with the installation of this ROM. Since there still isn’t a kernel for the Moto G, this CM12.1 custom ROM utilizes the kernel from the Moto E LTE 2015 variant. Before proceeding further make a complete backup of all your phone data and settings.
If you are doing this for the first time then I recommend you stop right at this point. Only those Android users who have complete knowledge of this stuff are free to proceed further. Any wrong move can cause severe damage to your Moto G 3rd Gen smartphone. In case if you brick your phone by performing the steps given in this article then neither I nor the developers of this ROM will be held responsible for that. Although I assure you that no such thing will happen to your device if you follow every step correctly without any mistake.
This Android 5.1.1 Lollipop ROM is compatible only and only with Moto G 3rd Generation (2015). Do not even think of trying this on any other device as it may cause permanent damage or even brick your phone. So firstly confirm the device you are using and then proceed.
- Ensure that you’ve charged your device battery at least up to 60%.
- Backup all the data present on your phone including your contacts, messages, call logs, memos, apps etc.
- Root Moto G 3rd Gen and install CWM or TWRP before proceeding further.
- Also, enable the USB debugging mode on your phone.
Moto G 3rd Android 5.1.1 Lollipop
Steps to install Android Lollipop on Moto G 3rd Gen:
- Download the CM ROM package file on your PC. Do not extract this zip file.
- Now connect your Moto G 3rd, Gen, to PC and transfer this file on your phone’s internal memory.
- Then safely disconnect the phone from the PC & switch it off completely.
- Next, you need to boot into bootloader mode.
- For that press and hold the Volume down key + Power button simultaneously until you land into bootloader mode.
- Now using Volume up and down keys you can perform various operations like restart bootloader, enter recovery mode, start bootloader mode etc.
- Now using Volume keys open the Recovery mode option and select it using the Power button.
- As soon as you hit the power button your phone will boot into TWRP recovery mode.
- Firstly make a complete backup of your current ROM.
- For doing so, click on the Backup option present on the recovery itself.
- Swipe on the next screen to start the backup process.
- Then press the back button to enter the main menu of recovery and select the Wipe option.
- On the next screen, swipe to wipe all the data/cache from your phone.
- Note that this step will clear all the data present on your phone, so I assume that you have backed up everything before.
- After wiping out everything press the back button and select the Install option.
- This will show you all the files present on your phone’s memory.
- Just navigate to the Android 5.1.1 Lollipop based CM 12.1 custom ROM and select it.
- On the next screen just swipe to start the actual flashing process.
- Wait for the process to complete. It will hardly take a few minutes.
- After completion, you’ll see the successful message on the screen.
- Now similarly flash the GApps zip file as you’ve installed the custom ROM.
- Just remember not to wipe data after that.
- After completing everything mentioned above, restart the phone by selecting the Reboot option present on the recovery mode itself.
- The first boot will take more time than usual.
Also Read: Install Android 8.0 Oreo LineageOS 15 ROM on Moto G3 2015
You did it! You’ve successfully installed the Android 5.1.1 based CM12.1 ROM on Moto G 3rd Gen smartphone. You can confirm the same from Menu > Settings > About Phone. Enjoy all the Android 5.1.1 Lollipop features on your Moto G 3rd Gen with this completely stable and fast custom ROM. Also, don’t forget to share your views after using it. If you have any problem regarding this stuff then just inform me through the comments section.