Every Samsung user is familiar with Kies, an official all-in-one tool to transfer files from phone to PC, update firmware, synchronize contacts, or backup and restore, etc. However, the drawback of this tool is that it works only on old Android versions. Moreover, it supports only Samsung phones and not any other brand. To solve this issue, Samsung has launched Smart Switch, an upgraded version of Kies with many advanced features.
Apart from Android, this tool works on iOS, Windows, Blackberry, and Mac OS. Isn’t it amazing! Earlier, Samsung Kies was the only tool to transfer data, or update software. However, due to compatibility issues, Kies does not support new Samsung phones like Galaxy S6 or S6 Edge. On the contrary, Samsung Smart Switch is available for Mobile as well as PC. With a single click, it can transfer data from the old phone to a new one.
In this article, we’ll go through the Smart Switch latest version features, its pros and cons, system requirement, and alternative tools.
What is Samsung Smart Switch?
This official Samsung tool is a revamped version of Samsung Kies, which lets users transfer files, backup data, sync contacts, and update software in a much better and easier way. Besides, the PC version is available for both Windows as well as Mac OS. Moreover, it is considered as the best Samsung software to transfer files from phone to PC or vice versa.
- Operating System: Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1, Windows 10, Mac OS X 10.5 or later
- CPU: Intel Core i5 3.0 GHz or above (Windows) | 1.8GHz Intel or faster processor (MAC)
- RAM: 1 GB or more
- HDD Space: 200MB
- Required Software: .Net Framework 3.5 SP1, Windows Media Player 10, DirectX 9.0C or above
What is Smart Switch Mobile?
It is a simplified mobile version of the Samsung Smart Switch. As per Samsung, this application is an easy way to transfer content to your new Galaxy device without root. Besides, you can use this app to move your contacts, apps, photos, text messages, call logs, memos, alarms, WiFi, documents, music, videos, wallpapers, and calendar, etc.
It can also assist you to find your favorite apps and suggest some similar apps on Google Play Store. Additionally, you can scan and transfer files stored on the internal memory as well as external SD card. Besides, the app requires permission to access your phone, call logs, contacts, SMS, calendar, storage, microphone, and location.
However, for transferring the data, does Samsung Smart Switch need to be on both phones? Yes, only if both are Android phones. For iOS devices, install the app only on the Galaxy device. Most important, note that you can only transfer data from a non-Galaxy phone to a Galaxy phone. And, not from Galaxy to any other brand.
List of Supported Devices
- Apple: iOS versions 4.2.1 or higher
- Nokia: Symbian 6.0 or later
- Blackberry: Blackberry OS version or higher
- LG: Android version 2.3 Gingerbread
- Samsung: All versions
Samsung Smart Switch Features
- Compatible with all types of Android smartphone and tablets
- Convenient and easy way to backup and restore
- Fast Updates to latest Samsung firmware
- Facilitates fast connection and data transfer process
- Easily synchronize contacts in the form of iCal and Windows Outlook
Advantages of Smart Switch
- Backup and restore data to PC with one-click.
- Sync outlook contacts to Samsung devices
- Support data transfer from devices running a different OS to Samsung
- Free of charge
Disadvantages of Smart Switch
- USB connection problems
- Always asks to install the latest USB drivers
- Cannot select data types to backup and restore
- Cannot transfer files from Samsung to other devices
Samsung Smart Switch not working?
Here are 5 main reasons why the app is not working or getting stuck at data transfer:
- Your device is not compatible with the app
- An old version of the app installed
- The process of installation was not executed properly
- The USB cable is defective and not functioning properly
- Lack of storage space on the receiving phone
What does Samsung Smart Switch cannot transfer?
- Application data
- DRM-protected media files
- Account-related information
- Safari history
- WhatsApp messages
Samsung Smart Switch (Windows + Mac)
Smart Switch App (Android)
How to Use Samsung Smart Switch?
- At first, download and install the tool on your PC.
- Launch it and also connect your Samsung phone via USB cable.
- The tool will automatically detect your Samsung device and provide options to backup, restore, or update the firmware.
- Besides, to transfer files, you’ll need to install the application on your mobile handset.
Samsung Smart Switch Alternatives
- Wondershare MobileTrans
- Apowersoft Phone Manager
- iSkysoft Toolkit
If you have any more questions or suggestions related to this guide, then do comment below.