Custom ROMs have many issues and bugs with them. Although they can give a complete new experience, still there are more chances that something or the other issue will be there in each one of them. This is mostly observed in the latest ROMs like the recently launched Android 4.4 KitKat. A low end device like Galaxy Fit S5670 has stopped getting further official updates after Android 2.3.6 Gingerbread. This was due to poor hardware and RAM compatibility that this device had. But due to the presence of third party android developers, it is possible for the fit users to experience all those newly launched Android versions on their device. But neither of these ROMs was stable. Every one had something or the other fault in them.
But this time I am here with a completely stable custom ROM named Mini Cyanogenmod especially for Galaxy Fit users. The working list is given below. And by looking at it you can see that everything works in this ROM. Also some of its features are listed below. Go check them out.
- Touch Screen
- Baseband (GSM/phone/messages/GPRS/EDGE/3G)
- SD Card
- Working HW acceleration
- Stock Gallery
- Data limit, IPv4, IPv6
- Network search
- Buttons backlight
- Bluetooth Tethering
- Youtube LQ/MQ
- Deep sleep
- Google play
- Video Playback
- JB keyboard
- Usb Mass Storage
- FM Radio
- Live wallpapers
- USB/Wifi Tethering – with 3rd party apps
- Color Banding free
- Removed wallpapers, Live wallpapers and Some ringtones
- removed Bootanimation
- Light & Fast
- Built for LDPI
- App2sd / Dalvik2sd compatible
- Gingerbread’s native App2sd (storing to fat)
- Modular Undervolting and Overclocking handled CM Settings menu (by default none is active)
- Extra CM Performance Settings menu for SD Read Cache Speed
- Extra CM Settings display menu for Ultra brightness
- Smooth 2D scrolling in menus
- Native USB tethering
- Most of the core components are built from sources
This Mini Cyanogenmod ROM is completely stable and has no issues. Still you face any, just inform us. Also note that this update given below for flashing Android 4.1 Jelly Bean on Galaxy Fit via Mini Cyanogenmod ROM is considered to be of much risky & must be performed with an attentive mind. A wrong move and your device will get permanently damaged. It is recommended that only advanced android users who have gone through such thing before to freely proceed further. If in case your Galaxy Fit gets damaged or bricked by following this guide then neither we nor the developers will be held responsible for that. Although the chances that this will happen are least still I highly recommend you to follow all the given procedure step by step properly and without attempting anything by your own.
Note that this update is only compatible for Samsung Galaxy Fit bearing the model number GT-S5670. Installing this update on any other device or variant may result into unwanted outcomes or bricked device. You can verify your device model number with the number given above from Homescreen–> Menu–>Settings –> About Phone.
- Check that you have a proper battery backup before proceeding further. As there is always a chance of interruption due to lack of battery during the flashing process which may lead into further problems. Thus I highly recommend to charge the battery of your mobile at least up to 70%.
- Backup all your important data including contacts, messages, memos and call logs etc. before moving ahead. You can transfer them on SD card or PC for more safety. All this is essential as in the last step of this flashing process you need to clear all the data and cache from your phone internal memory.
- Make sure that Samsung device drivers are installed on your PC so as to recognize your device when connected to PC. You can install them by installing Kies or manually install them from the link given below:
- There is a folder present in your system directory called EFS folder which must be backed up. This is very highly recommended as this folder contains all your phones specific information such as the IMEI, wireless devices MAC addresses, product code, and much more. There is always a risk that sometimes flashing ROM may corrupt the content within this EFS folder. If so happened, your device will be completely useless & will no longer be recognized by your carrier.
- Make sure that your Galaxy Fit is rooted. Also a Custom recovery like CWM must be installed on your phone. You may refer our article for rooting & installing CWM recovery on Galaxy Fit.
Procedure to update Samsung Galaxy Fit GT-S5670 to Mini Cyanogenmod ROM:
Step 1: After completely downloading both the files that are given above, connect your phone to PC using USB cable. Enable USB debugging mode and transfer both the package files (without extracting) on your phones external SD card. Remember not to place them in deep directories.
Step 2: You can disconnect the phone from PC now.
Step 3: Switch it off completely and enter into recovery mode. For the same, press & hold ‘Home Button (middle button) + Power Button’ simultaneously until the recovery mode appears.
Note: Touch won’t work here in the recovery. So all you need to do is use Volume Up and Down keys for navigation and Home button for selection.
Step 4: Make a complete nandroid backup of your entire operating system. This is much useful in case if this installation fails or some if some problem occurs. Then it will be much easy for you since you have a complete backup of your current ROM.
Refer our detailed article for taking Nandroid backup:
For taking a proper nandroid backup, navigate to the ‘backup & restore’ option on the recovery mode itself and on the next screen select ‘backup’ option. This will make a complete nandroid backup of your current ROM. Refer the screenshot given below.
Let’s move to the actual Mini Cyanogenmod ROM installation process now.
Step 5: On the main menu of recovery mode, you’ll find a option named ‘install zip from SD card’. Select it using the Home button. On the next screen select ‘choose zip from SD card’ option which will show all the files and folders located on your phones external SD card. Just navigate to the Mini Cyanogenmod ROM which you’ve copied earlier & select it. Press ‘Yes’ option on the next page to confirm the installation. You’ll see that the ROM flashing has started. Be patient until it completes.
Step 6: After few minutes, the ROM will get successfully flashed. You’ll again land into recovery. Navigate to the ‘wipe data/factory reset’ option and select it. Similarly do it for ‘wipe cache partition’ option on the recovery mode. Both these options will clear the entire data & cache present of your phones internal memory. Ensure that you have backed up everything before performing this step (As mentioned in Pre-requisites).
Step 7: Now flash the Google Apps (containing Playstore, Gmail, Gtalk etc.) in the same way as you’ve flashed the ROM package. But most importantly do not wipe data/cache after flashing them.
Step 8: You may restart your phone now. Just navigate to the ‘reboot system now’ option and select it. You’ll notice that the first boot will take more time to start than usual.
Note: If you want to restore back your previous Rom, then you can do that by going back to the recovery mode by pressing & holding Home Button (middle button) + Power Button simultaneously and select ‘Backup and Restore’ option and then on next page select ‘Restore’ option. Select the ROM you want to restore.
Well done! You have successfully flashed the Mini Cyanogenmod ROM based on Android 4.1 Jelly Bean on your Samsung Galaxy Fit S5670. This ROM is basically filled with a combo pack of features of Cyanogenmod and Jelly Bean respectively. Enjoy and experience both of them. Just don’t forget to tell your views after using the ROM. All the points given in the article are straight to the point and hence can be understood easily. Still if you have any query or doubt regarding the same, then you can freely inform me through the comments given below. I’ll provide an exact solution as soon as possible. Till then Enjoy! 🙂