Root and install TWRP recovery on Galaxy S2 i9100. The Samsung Galaxy S2 i9100 was the most used phone back in 2011. Even today it remains as a phone that packs quite a punch when it comes to hardware. It boasts a 1.2 GHz dual-core cortex-A9 processor with 1 GB of RAM and 32 GB of internal memory. It was launched with Android 4.0.4 Ice Cream Sandwich OS which was further upgraded to Android 4.1 Jelly Bean OS by Samsung. After Jelly Bean, Samsung stopped releasing further updates for this smartphone. But suffice to say, Galaxy S2 i9100 can easily handle any software you throw at it without a single discernible lag.
There are almost wide numbers of third party custom firmwares developed by professional Android developers for this beautiful smartphone. So you can easily flash those custom ROMs and enjoy the newly launched Android versions on your Galaxy S2 i9100. But the most important thing before flashing a custom ROM is to have root access as well as a custom recovery called CWM or TWRP must be installed on your phone. Hence in this article we’ll discuss the complete step by step procedure on how to root and install TWRP v3.1.0-0 recovery on Galaxy S2 i9100. Let’s have a look at the new features of TWRP recovery v3.1.0-0 given below.
- TWRP will now attempt to use the system partition’s vold and vdc binaries and libraries to decrypt the data partition (nkk71 and CaptainThrowback)
- tweak MTP startup routines (mdmower)
- support new Android 7.x xattrs for backup and restore to fix loss of data after a restore (Dees_Troy)
- support POSIX file capabilities backup and restore to fix VoLTE on HTC devices and possibly other issues (Dees_Troy)
- better indicate to users that internal storage is not backed up (Dees_Troy)
- support for FBE decrypt and backing up and restoring FBE policies (Dees_Troy)
- boot slot support (Dees_Troy)
- improve automatic determination of TW_THEME (mdmower)
- minimal getcap and setcap support (_that)
- try mounting both ext4 and f2fs during decrypt (jcadduono and Dees_Troy)
- shut off backlight with power key (mdmower)
- timeout during FDE decrypt (Dees_Troy and nkk71)
- TWRP app install prompt during reboot (Dees_Troy)
- support for AB OTA zips (Dees_Troy)
- support new Android 7.x log command (Dees_Troy)
- update recovery sources to AOSP 7.1 (Dees_Troy)
This rooting and TWRP flashing guide is intended for advanced users. If you brick your Galaxy S2 by implementing the steps given this article, whole responsibility will be yours. We’ll not be responsible for any damage. Although the chances are very low.
This guide is only for Samsung Galaxy S2 with the model number GT-I9100. If you aren’t sure about your device, you can check it from Home Screen –> Settings –> About Phone. If you apply it on any other device than the mentioned one, there are high chances that you may end up with boot looping on your phone.
- Rooting will void your device warranty. But don’t worry if you want to regain it back just unroot the device.
- Backup all your data including Contacts, Apps, Messages, call logs, notes, APN settings and copy it somewhere for safety.
- Make sure your phones battery is charged at least up to 60% so as to decrease the risk of interruption during the process.
- Make sure that the Mobile specific drivers are installed on your Computer. You can install them by installing Samsung Kies or manually install them from the link given below:
- Enable the USB Debugging mode on your device by following the path Menu->Settings->Developer options->USB Debugging.
Procedure to install TWRP 3.1.0-0 recovery on Galaxy S2 i9100:
Step 1: Download and extract both the above files to a convenient location on your computer.
Step 2: Now Power off your Galaxy S2 i9100 completely until it vibrates.
Step 3: Boot your Galaxy S2 i9100 into downloading mode. For doing so, simultaneously press and hold Home button (middle button) + Volume Down key + Power button until you see a warning message.
Step 4: Leave all the three buttons and just press Volume Up key to continue. This will land your device into downloading mode.
Step 5: Keeping your phone as it is in downloading mode, connect it to computer via USB data cable.
Step 6: Then launch the Odin Multi Downloader3-v3.12 from the extracted zip file. As soon as you launch it, you’ll see an ‘Added’ message appears on the Odin window. Also the ID:COM section will turn light blue in color with a random COM PORT number below it. Refer the screenshot.
Note: If such thing doesn’t happen, then it must be problem with your mobile drivers. So re-install mobile specific drivers or try with new USB data cable or with new USB port.
Step 7: On the Odin window, click on AP tab and locate the ‘twrp-3.1.0-0-i9100.tar.md5’ file which you’ve downloaded earlier & select it.
Step 8: Just hit the Start button located on the Odin window to initiate the TWRP 3.1.0-0 flashing process. Your Galaxy S2 will automatically reboot itself as the process goes on.
Note: Do not unplug USB data cable until the process completes.
Step 9: The TWRP flashing will hardly take few minutes to complete. As soon as it completes successfully, you’ll see the ID:COM section on the Odin window is turned green with the message ‘Pass’ below it. Then safely remove the USB cable.
Note: If the process fails or if Odin gets stuck or in case your device gets into boot loops, then don’t panic. Just close the Odin window, go into downloading mode and repeat the whole process again.
That’s it! You’ve successfully flashed the latest TWRP 3.1.0-0 custom recovery on your Samsung Galaxy S2 i9100 smartphone. An app named SuperSU installed on your phone will confirm that your phone is rooted. This SuperSU app supervises each and every app that requires a root access.
Procedure to Root Galaxy S2 i9100:
Step 1: Download and copy the Super SU zip file on your phones internal storage.
Note: Do not extract this zip file.
Step 2: Then you need to boot your Galaxy S2 into the installed TWRP recovery mode. For that firstly power off your phone completely.
Step 3: To boot into TWRP recovery mode, press and hold Volume Up key + Home button + Power button simultaneously until your Galaxy S2 lands into recovery mode.
Step 4: Just click on the Install option present on the main menu of TWRP recovery to flash the Update Super SU zip file which we’ve copied earlier.
Step 5: As you select the Install option, all the files and folders located on phones internal storage will be shown on the screen.
Step 6: Just select the Update Super SU zip file to install. On the next screen just swipe right to initiate the actual Rooting process.
Step 7: Wait until the process completes successfully. As soon as the process completes, you’ll see a successful message on the screen. This will confirm that you have rooted your Galaxy S2 i9100 smartphone. Just click on the Reboot System option to restart your device.
You can use Root Checker app to confirm whether your Galaxy S2 is successfully rooted or not. Also an app named Superuser installed on your phone will confirm that your phone is properly rooted. This Superuser app supervises each and every app that requires a root access.
Congo! You have successfully rooted & installed TWRP 3.1.0-0 custom recovery on Samsung Galaxy S2 i9100 smartphone. Now you can easily change and view the system settings, do nandroid backup, flash custom ROMs, mods, kernels, increase internal memory, wipe data/cache and do much more. If you have any queries while going through the process then feel free to inform me from the comments section given below. I’ll be glad to help you out. Till then enjoy and Peace out ! 😎✌