Update Galaxy M20 to official Android 8.1.0 Oreo firmware. This is the first time Samsung has launched new phones with the most current January 2019 security patch. We will soon see Android Pie update as well as Android Q update for Galaxy M10 and M20 smartphones.
As per the Galaxy M20 review from Samsung, it seems that this mid-range smartphone is undoubtedly the best mobile phone of 2019. Galaxy M20 launch date in India was January 28th, 2019. But it became available online from February 5 onward.
You can see various Galaxy M20 unboxing videos on YouTube. Galaxy M20 accessories include travel adapter charger 9V 1.67 Amp, USB Type C cable, SIM card eject tool, warranty card, and manual guide. There are only a few differences between Galaxy M10 vs M20. It is quite obvious that Galaxy M20 specs are slightly better than Galaxy M10. Galaxy M20 price in India starts from Rs. 12,990.
But you won’t believe Galaxy M20 sale will start from February 5th, so you can buy from Amazon online website. Samsung Galaxy M20 competitors & rivals include Xiaomi, Oppo F11 Pro, Huawei Y6 2019, Motorola Moto G7 Play, Huawei nova Lite 3, Huawei Y7 Prime 2019, Asus Zenfone Max Pro M2, Ulefone Armor X, Infinix Note 4 and Panasonic Eluga Ray 700.
Note that this is an Indian (INS) OTA update official from Samsung. And it is not any third party custom firmware. Hence your phone warranty will not get void after flashing this Stock ROM. There are various device stability improvements, enhancements, and bug fixes. This update is based on Android version 8.1.0 Oreo with build number M205FDDU1ASAF.
Go ahead to download the Galaxy M20 software update using the easy steps guide mentioned below. Here we give direct Samsung firmware Google Drive links for fast download. If you want to root Galaxy M20 without PC, then stay tuned as we will soon post a tutorial on that. Today, we will manually install the latest official Android 8.1.0 Oreo-based Stock ROM on Samsung Galaxy M20 using Odin software.
Galaxy M20 Specification
Let’s check out some of the Galaxy M20 specs now. This M series smartphone include 6.3 inches screen with 1080 x 2340 pixels of resolution. The most amazing thing is that Galaxy M20 features a dual-camera setup which includes a 13-megapixel primary lens and a 5-megapixel wide-angle lens.
Galaxy M20 battery has a massive 5,000mAh power with fast charging support. Talking about the Galaxy M20 processor, it comes with an octa-core processor with 4 GB RAM and 64 GB internal memory. It also comes with Android 8.1 Oreo out of the box. For full phone specifications, search galaxy M20 gsmarena on Google.
Model Name: Samsung Galaxy M20
Model Number: SM-M205F
OS Version: Android 8.1.0 Oreo
Build Date: 30 January, 2019
Region: India (INS)
PDA Version: M205FDDU1ASAF
CSC Version: M205FODM1ASA9
MODEM Version: M205FDDU1ASAE
Proceed at your own risk. If your phone gets damaged by following this guide, then we at Droid Thunder will not be held responsible for that. Moreover, the firmware used is the property of their respective owners.
This Android 8.1.0 Oreo M205FDDU1ASAF software update is only for Samsung Galaxy M20 with model number SM-M205F. Do not install this firmware on any other device or variant.
- To avoid any interruption, it is recommended to charge your phone at least 60%.
- Backup your contacts, apps, messages, call logs, notes, etc.
- Install the latest Samsung USB drivers on PC to detect your phone when connected using a USB cable.
- (Optional) Temporary disable all the security tools as well as antivirus on your computer.
Steps to update Samsung Galaxy M20 to Android 8.1.0 Oreo
- Extract the downloaded INS-M205FDDU1ASAF.zip firmware file.
- Switch off your device completely.
- Boot your Galaxy M20 into Download Mode. For that, press and hold Volume Down key + Power Button simultaneously.
- Leave both the keys as soon as you see a warning message on the screen.
- Press the Volume Up button.
- This is how you can boot Samsung Galaxy M20 into Download Mode aka Odin Mode.
- Keeping the phone in downloading mode, connect it to your computer via USB cable.
- Open the downloaded ‘Odin Multi Downloader3-v3.13.1′ tool.
- Now we will verify whether your phone is connected to a computer or not.
- So check the ID: COM section in the Odin window is turned light blue or not.
- Also, check if an Added message appears in the message box window or not.
- If such a thing does not happen then it’s more likely to be a problem with Samsung USB drivers.
- So again install the latest USB drivers from the links given above.
- If the problem persists, try changing USB cable or your computer.
- Under the Options tab, tick the Auto Reboot and F.Reset Time options. Do not tick Nand Erase or Re-Partition options.
- Let’s add the firmware files in the Odin tool.
- So click on the BL button present on the Odin window and select the ‘BL_M205FDDU1ASAF_CL15095373_QB21826129_REV03_user_low_ship.tar.md5’ from the extracted firmware package file.
- Similarly, click on the CP button and select the ‘CP_M205FDDU1ASAE_CL1029438_QB11764333_SIGNED.tar.md5’ file.
- Then click on CSC button and select the ‘HOME_CSC_OMC_ODM_M205FODM1ASA9_CL15095373_QB21605981_REV03_user_low_ship.tar.md5’ file.
- Note: HOME_CSC contains an instruction that allows Odin to only wipe cache while Normal CSC contains an instruction to wipe out complete data. But when a downgrade is done (example: from Oreo back to Nougat) a factory reset is a must. So use normal CSC at that time.
- Lastly hit the AP button and select the ‘AP_M205FDDU1ASAF_CL15095373_QB21826129_REV03_user_low_ship_meta_RKEY.tar.md5’ file.
- The AP file will take little time to load. So be patient.
- We will now initiate the firmware flashing process. So tap on the Start button.
- This will begin the Android 8.1.0 Oreo firmware flashing process.
- Your phone will automatically boot itself. Do not disconnect your phone from the computer.
- After the flashing process completes, the ID: COM section will turn green with a message ‘Pass’ on it.
- This will confirm that your Samsung Galaxy M20 is successfully upgraded to the latest official Android 8.1.0 Oreo M205FDDU1ASAF firmware.
- Now you can safely remove the USB cable and disconnect your phone from the computer.
- If Odin fails to flash Stock ROM on your device, then close the Odin tool, again go into downloading mode and repeat the complete procedure.
Finally! The latest official Android 8.1.0 Oreo DDU1ASAF firmware is successfully installed on your Samsung Galaxy M20 SM-M205F. To confirm the same, go to Menu > Settings > About Phone. For any queries related to this article, kindly comment below.